***NEW*** Prema Mod Alienware 15. 15 R2 / 17 R2 and R3 Performance vBIOS

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Folks, this is hot off the presses. Prema has worked hard to make these new Alienware machines run better than Alienware intended. A few people have been testing it for him to help get all of the kinks worked out, and now it's ready for everyone to enjoy.

AW1x R2 (2015)

Prema Mod 970M and 980M vBIOS for AW 15 and 17 R2!

• Power throttle disabled for good
    • Over-voltage slider enabled and adjusted (up to the maximum of 1.2v)
    • Activated and adjusted thermal slider (to keep it cooler if desired)
    • Core overclock slider raised
    • Fixed 3D voltage base-line in order to stabilize OCs (based on average ASIC score)
    • Thermal protection @ 92c (once 91c are breached the system throttles volts and clocks in order to protect it)
    • Protection against Furmark and Kombustor GPU burnout (AVOID those software even with stock vBIOS)!
    Be sure to express your appreciation for Prema's efforts if you get good results with it so he will have an incentive to keep up the great work. You'll find a convenient link to do that on the same page.

Sample 3DMark Suite Performance: Alienware 17 R2 | 4710HQ | GTX 970M

Note: DO NOT use this vBIOS with an MXM 970M or 980M. It is for BGA models only. If you have an older Alienware with MXM modules, Prema has a vBIOS for you also, but it's not this one. (You will need this one.)

[parsehtml]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lXF50iK_zyQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/parsehtml]***UPDATE 11/10/2015***

Shubu, Vasudev, iTubePod and 10 others like this.
  2. orancanoren

orancanoren Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I downloaded it but I can't open the rar file because it is asking for password and I can't find it. By the way I have a bigger problem. I tried extracting my vBIOS for backup with GPU-Z. The screen gone bad like there was moving white and black lines all over the screen for about a minute and I got real scared I didn't even clicked "ok" to the warning pop up window. I restarted the machine to see the GeForce drivers were reporting errors and my screen was flashing, it is like brightness was switching between 70% and 100%. I uninstalled the drivers with DDU and reinstalled. Now drivers are working but my screen is still flashing! What would you suggest? Maybe installing that prema vBIOS would fix it? But I can't even open the rar file since I can't find the password.
    EDIT: my specs are 4720hq and 980m and I just ran a firestrike test. I didn't wait for the score. During the graphics test 1 I should be getting fps around 45-60 but now I can only get around 30. I need help urgently :( did I destroy my 980m?
    EDIT2: I just found the rar password and installed prema vBIOS. Screen is still flashing and I did a firestrike test, this time full test and I scored 4734! http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8226414?
    I scored 9154 last night. What do I do? OMG I'm going crazy.
    EDIT3: I'm really sorry for my stupidity. I didn't plug the AC adapter :( I shutdown the computer and waited a bit, then booted the pc. Now I think flashes are gone. I did another firestrike without any OC and I scored 8317.
    Prob last EDIT: I tried using MSI afterburner and I OC'd the core clock by 200 MHz and the mem clock by 400 MHz. I just scored 9647 on firestrike! Great performance boost while maintaining nice temps (max 87 for 1 second, avg 80)Thanks! Although I couldn't figure out why GPU-Z is constantly reporting the PerfCap reason to be util.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  3. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    really want to try it out but scared of bricking my system(like last time a02 to a00). Currently have a02 now and waiting for other peoples feedback on the new bios. :)

4. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    No worries, it's just a vBIOS and won't touch the BIOS (so no brick risk, like some people had with Dells BIOS updates). ;)

TheCarlMenard and pathfindercod like this.
  5. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did not know that! anyway, there are 4 files(970mpmoc.rom, nvflash,nvflsh64.sys,update) inside the folder which one do i open?

6. Prema

Reputations:
    There is a 'README' file with instructions. It essentially takes one double click with the mouse.;)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  7. orancanoren

Reputations:
    Hi Prema. I have been testing the vBIOS and I am truly amazed with the performance boost. I'd like to ask you if a vBIOS update goes bad is there a way to recover? Do you simply reflash a vBIOS?

Prema likes this.
  8. Prema

Reputations:
    In the rare scenario that it crashes during the flash (should not happen at all with this latest nVflash) you just repeat the flash until it finishes successfully.
    Worst case: If you have a fully deleted chip you may have to uninstall the nVIDIA driver and flash in Windows safe mode.

9. orancanoren

Reputations:
    Great news! Thank you for your effort on this.

10. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    thats what i dont understand. :/
    "
    HOW-TO: - Double click 'ModMe.bat' in Windows and follow on-screen instructions
    - Repeat with 'ModMe2.bat' in order to flash the second GPU in SLI systems
    (Wait for the very brief 'update successful' message before rebooting the system)
    (Use EVGA Precision or NVIDIA Inspector for overclocking/overvolting)"

There is no modme.bat in the files unzipped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.