1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

New Portege Z830

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Hoopsontoast, Sep 12, 2011.

1. z830guy

z830guy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks Alex. Had already called them. They charged me $39, by the way, first time, saying that blowing out dust is not a warranty item. So hopefully they'll start with that $39 as my base payment again. :)

2. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I still have my z835-p330 bought in Nov 2011. I ran speed fan, and it shows that my cpu core 0 and 1 run around 50-55*C. So hot.

3. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I just picked up a Satellite Z830 10T, was looking for some good info on how to clean install Windows 7 to it. I haven't got a Win 7 Retail disc. Anyone got any ideas about how to do this and if so, what drivers are "required" once done? - I'm looking to clear out all the crapware because on the factory install, there is only around 69gb free on the 128gb mSata :eek:

Any info greatly appreciated.

4. landsome

landsome Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    BTW, bios v1.80 has been out for a while... Flashed it and seems OK, no noticeable differences.

5. steviejones133

Reputations:
    Yeah, I flashed it a while back. I agree, no noticeable differences. Fans not affected, so seems just fine.

6. meats

meats Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where to get a new motherboard for the Z830? I fried mine plugging in a faulty powered external USB. It was working so well for so long and then I got unlucky.. sadness :(

any help would be appreciated!

7. steviejones133

Reputations:
    I was looking for some cosmetic trim for mine (screen bezel) and I found these guys: CBC Computer Systems Ltd | ICT Solutions and Services in the UK. Good prices for what I wanted, not sure how much a mobo would run you as the cpu is soldered on. Might be worth asking, or looking for a spares/repairs machine on Ebay.

Hope that helps, sorry to hear of your woes.

8. jt29

jt29 Newbie

Reputations:

i have similar problem, but mine is worse. I had it completely shut down, and i turned off the usb offline charging option, still my battery goes from 100% to nothing in just 2 days. any thoughts?:(

9. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ^^^
    Might want to give Toshiba a ring if you still have the laptop under warranty

Personally, I cannot figure out why your battery would deplete so quickly, if in fact the laptop is shutdown [not in sleep/hibernation].

Good luck and keep us posted with any news

10. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Turn off the Sleep and Charge mode in the bios. This mode can supply USB power to the USB port when the computer is in stanby/sleep mode, hibernation mode, or shutdown state. Your mystery battery drain will go away.

11. meats

Reputations:
    If anyone is interested in a spare Z830 battery or AC power supply, let me know. I'm trying to sell spares I have. Both are used, but in good working order.

12. landsome

landsome Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would be interested in a spare US / UK keyboard... PM me if you have that too.

13. meats

Reputations:
    Sorry, I only have the battery and that is currently up on ebay.

14. deprac

deprac Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

I have a z830-10F with a clean installation of windows 8.1? I want to install the toshiba utility to have the FN Keys.

Now with windows functions, only work some keys. Brightness, disable wifi... doesn't work.

Last time I installed windows 8, they work, but this time not.

I installed toshiba value added package, fn keys utility... any idea?

Do you have they working on windows 8?

Thanks

15. Adam1410

Adam1410 Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought a 1600x900 panel (from a sony SA series), it fits in my z830 fine, the LED backlight comes on and responds to the brightness keys fine, but the display itself is blank. If I connect to a monitor using HDMI, and clone the display, it adjusts to 1600x900, so it is able to talk to the panel at least.

Anyone have any ideas I can try to get it to spring to life? would be great to get the higher resolution display to work.

SECONDLY

Has anyone managed to resolve the fan vibration noise? The speed of the fan is fine, but the vibration is so annoying. I've dismantled it, removed the mainboard, padded with rubber etc and still cant solve it. The fan is quiet when it isnt touching the chassis. I'm hoping someone has solved it by now!

16. makoz

makoz Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear All,

My Z830-10f (an Italian model - Portégé Z830-10F - Toshiba) core i5 doesn't power on anymore and is giving a 72h code (PPV voltage is not more than 0.68V when the computer is booting up).

After a bit of googling I've understood that the motherboard has a serious problem and should be replaced.

On ebay I've found an used motherboard from USA but it comes from another model Z830 Intel Core™ i7-2677M @1.80GHz. I've compared the motherboards and they appear identical, thus I'm wondering if the i7 model can be compatible.

I know that I should find the exact spare part, but it's really a jungle and probably all the differences are related to the different codes used worldwide.

WHat do you think about?
    Any suggestion is really appreciated!!! :)
    Thanks a lot in advance!

Marco

17. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a Z830 and it's died once and the motherboard was replaced under warranty and it's died again, same problem as you. The power regulator I believe is of faulty design. I would say that it's better to invest in a new notebook unless you can get a system board for under $50 US. The going rate for the i7 is $200-250 right now for a refurbished board.