New Portege Z830

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Hoopsontoast, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    landsome it seems the problem might be related to ssd firmware although not all laptops are affected. was the toshiba on marvell too ? (M4 is) you were probably unlucky with your combinations.
    you may look up for firmware releases of your specific ssd model and upgrade/downgrade it (search for issue first, maybe it's after/before certain firmware revisions)

I have similar issue on crucial M4 drive in a HP elitebook - when hdd password set it will never wake up from sleep. confirmed by others on different laptops on crucial forums and you know what: they replied they can't do anything about it although on previous firmwares -as people report - the problem did not appear so seems it was broken but they refuse to fix it now !

M4 512GB - won't wake out of sleep with HDD passwo... - Page 3 - Crucial Community

2. landsome

landsome Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, the Toshiba msata is based on their own chipset (formerly a JMicron, afaik) - it's the default Z830 ssd.

And both wake from sleep, just that it takes 1-2 minutes.

3. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    and you didn't set HD password in bios setup for them? my mistake I forgot to add the problem takes place when that password is set

4. landsome

landsome Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The point is that, if I set a bios HDD pwd, the Z830 takes 1-2 minutes to wake from sleep - with either of the drives.

If I do not set a HDD pwd, it wakes up normally.

I also put the original Z830 Toshiba SSD in my Dell and set a HDD password - and the notebook wakes up normally.

All of which suggests it's a Z830 bios (or hardware) problem, and almost certainly not a problem with either the Toshiba or the Marvell SSD.

5. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    you can be right it's the Z830 to blame.
    but as some of laptops did not have problem with crucial either while some had i would still bet in this case on the unlucky combination of the two (laptops bios/hardware and ssd firmware) and there might be nothing you can do about it (apart from resigning from the password or trying yet another SSD ;)
    I will report if the problem is gone with firmware upgrade in my 2.5" crucial M4 in a couple of days (so you could perhaps risk trying M4 mSata version)

6. 1994F7PT

1994F7PT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    in follow up to this, I RMA'd the crucial drive a month or so ago and received my refund. I have since purchased a 256Gb Samsung PM830 mSATA drive that's literally just landed this morning and bonus, got it for less than the crucial drive.

I am just running my backups now and intend to follow the cycle once more, slap the new drive in and fresh install W8 Pro x64, will report back later with findings!

Samsung drive fitted, w8 installed, all tweaks done and all tosh software I want installed. fully patched and most of my stuff transferred and so far all seems well

drives only been in 8 hours or so but seems responsive and robust enough, quicker than the crucial and hasn't bombed yet. I've slept it was well and power cycled it a good few times in testing and its looking good despite my paranoia

to be continued......

7. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ^^^^^
    Glad to hear the process went well. Keep us posted with any other updates.

8. 1994F7PT

1994F7PT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

done a few tests, all with it set on tosh eco mode and on battery, full boot no msconfig tweeks and its 20.1 seconds from power button press to full desktop

this is with a fingerprint swipe to logon still enabled (so windows password set to on) and with Start8 installed and set to boot directly to desktop, not metro start screen.

ie10 and google (only homepage) then takes a further 2 seconds max to load from a mouse click

I ran a quick AS SSD bench as well

Read: Seq = 260 mb/s, 4K = 14, 4K-64Thrd = 178, Access = 0.15ms
    Write: Seq = 236mb/s, 4K = 37, 4K-64Thrd = 88, Access = 0.1ms

so its running sata 2 as expected on the older Z830 BIOS revisions and its pulling 7.8 out of 9.9 on the WEI in windows.

overall pretty happy.

oh and shutdown is sneaky on 8, screen goes blank from hitting the shutdown button in less than a second, and I mean literally 0.5s I reckon but power lights don't go out for a further 6 seconds, but still, darn quick!

9. z830guy

z830guy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Guys. I still love my z930, but I have to ask -- has anyone else ever experienced a quick (and random) shutdown (straight to a cold book, with no suspend/resume memory)? It SEEMS to be temperature-related. It's still under warranty. Took it in for a carry-in repair here in Louisville. (I like Toshiba's policy to hook up with local computer shops for carry-in repairs.) They apparently blew off the dust and claimed it was "fixed." But it still shuts down. I picked up a Targus laptop chiller (their dual-fan model). It has at least given me some relief. As soon as I catch my inbox up, I guess I'll take it back to warranty. But in the meantime, have we heard anything recently about fans that didn't do their job? Is there a bios problem? Are the fans running out of steam over time? (I bought this one in August, so I have some warranty remaining.)

10. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sounds like a "Thermal Shutdown". If the repair shop already "blew" out your fans/vents and it's still having the shutdown issue, then perhaps they need to open the laptop up and manually remove any "dustballs" lodged in the fan.
    As for fan problems, I haven't heard of anything.

I would give Toshiba another call and see if you can do the local repair shop option again. Let them shop know this is the second time your bringing the laptop in for the same problem.

Good luck and keep us posted with any updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.