New Portege Z830

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Hoopsontoast, Sep 12, 2011.

1. laidback

laidback Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @dirtyndiesel - I was looking at the UX31 as well, but ultimately decided that the keyboard is not comfortable at all. Plus, there have been numerous problems reported by users here.

The z380 has a flexible screen but it is suppose to survive a 30 ft. drop. So although it may not feel as solid as the UX31; its suppose to be solid. However, you pointed out that you will be watching movies and some video editing - the z380 only has a resolution display of 1366 X 768. For a 13" screen, you'll want a 1600 x 900 resolution.

With those 2 notebooks crossed off my list, I am waiting for the new Samsung Series 9, which should be released in less than 3 weeks.

2. z830guy

z830guy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @dirtyndiesel -- "Trust the force." I've carried my z830 on planes and across the miles with no problems whatsoever. It is plenty tough enough to take the knocks. I'd trust it over a Mac Book Pro in part because the hard drive is solid state. Besides -- Toshibas are repaired the world over anyway.

3. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Toshiba released a new BIOS for the z830/z835. Looks like they actually released 2 BIOS within a matter of a couple days. You only have to download the latest version to receive all the updates.

Supposedly it addresses "fan control" issues and some other things.

Here's a link to a "generic" z830/z835 model page. You'll have to select your specific model using by selecting the "Product Support" button at the top-left of the page. [actually the BIOS will be the same regardless of the specific model].
    Model Content Page

Good luck and let us know how the new BIOS pans out.

4. kaikara

kaikara Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well they have done something with the 1.60 BIOS and Fan control for sure. After the update the fan was not even spinning anymore when I got to the Windows Desktop. I assume it will come on when needed or be less agressive.

5. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sounds good so far. Keep us posted with further results :D

6. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Although I don't really hear mine this would be nice for the owners with bionic hearing... or for those worried about wear and tear on the fan and battery life.

7. kaikara

kaikara Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yeah it only comes on after the system heats up and then throttles up and down depending on what you are doing. Way better this way then it was before.

8. makryger

makryger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you hear that?

That is the sound of silence :)

9. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'll try it out... hopefully I don't end up UX31'ing my Z835 (oh yes... I went there).

10. makryger

makryger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It was extremely painless. I'm not sure about all the other bios changes, but the computer is working as good as it did before the update, only without the noise. The sound whirls up for a short time (~10 seconds) occasionally while I'm doing light surfing, but otherwise, its inaudible.

Gotta feel sorry for all those people who based their entire decision on the sound of the fan... they could have gotten this laptop for a cool $700!