New P71 owner mini review and rant

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PsyberEMT, Jun 16, 2017.

1. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I... I... what? @Dackzy

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    OMG, what in the world did I just look at? Only extremely vulgar expletives come to mind as I try to forget the pathetic excuse for heat sinks I just saw. Stupid must be contagious. They should just glue a stack of pennies onto the CPU and GPU, then call it a day.

3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    A barebone config of the P71 with the Xeon 1535M V6 and P5000M retails for around 3900.

The more you know...

4. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's the P70 interior, but chances are things didn't change much with P71. Besides the atrocious CPU cooling, the interior is rather cheap looking compared to Dell Precision series.

5. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    What do you mean? Its pretty much all Magnesium. The mainboards sits in a Magnesium base-cover + an extra Magnesium structure-frame. Thats about as stable and expensive as ThinkPad construction gets.

Here are the P70 and P71 parts lists:
    https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/p70_frubom_20151029.pdf
    https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/p71_frubom_20170502.pdf

P70 has two thermal-assemblies:
    • 00NY300: CPU/MXM N16E thermal,w/fan,DEL
    • 00NY301: CPU/MXM N16M thermal,w/fan,DEL
    P71 also has two:
    • 00NY301: CPU/MXM N16M thermal,w/fan,DEL
    • 01AV344: CPU/MXM N17E thermal,w/fan,DEL
    They share the 00NY301 (which is the weaker one likely for the low-end M600M/M620M - appears to be a weaker GPU fan), but the other one is different. How they are different, I am not sure.

One thing to keep in mind is that the cooling solution of the P70 and thus also the P71 (because its just a refresh) was designed for Skylake. I do think Kaby-Lake does run somewhat hotter in comparison.

That seems rather unlikely. Are you sure you have set the CPUs to max performance in the UEFI-BIOS or in Windows? There are also some settings hidden in the Lenovo Settings app, if you have that installed.

Notebookcheck is currently testing the P71 with the Core i7-7820HQ.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  6. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    I still think that the solution isn't enough for the CPU and GPU.

Xeons are advertised to boost around 4GHz or so, including the 7820HQ. You would need more than 1 heatpipe (that's also shared with the GPU) to dissipate all the heat.

GPU also look weak with only two dedicated heatpipe to cool the 100w 1070 down (P5000M).

7. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know it's magnesium, but I wasn't referring to the material (Precision uses the same), but at some of the details I've noticed.

The CPU heatpipe being shared with the GPU is a sign of poor design IMHO. The rather small CPU fan probably doesn't help either. Speaking of which, not having removable fans is another (though Dell seems to have done the same on 7710).

Then e.g. instead of painting the whole panel whose parts might be visible, they just painted the visible edges. E.g., when you remove the keyboard, you're greeted with a big unpainted magnesium panel. So you end up with this:

[​IMG]

Compared to this:

[​IMG]

The Dell part under the keyboard is plastic I believe, but still, I get the impression they've paid more attention to details in their design. It wouldn't have bankrupted Lenovo if they've used a bit more paint :)

Eagerly awaiting the notebookcheck test to see if P71 improved on the P70 design which was inadequate for a proper workstation (e.g. CPU load causing the GPU to throttle because of the shared heatpipe):

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P70-20ER000XUS-Workstation-Review.179558.0.html

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  8. Dackzy

Dackzy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    well that is sad AF

9. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Everything was on high performance. Thermal and current throttling were shown to be present in Intel extreme tuner.

Single core was about where I expected. Every multicore run in cinebench triggered current throttling until the fifth run when it was thermally throttling. It scored below 680 in every multi core benchmark run after the fifth benchmark. The test environment is a little warmer than most offices (27c) but not obscene.

You shouldn't be surprised by this. Many workstation devices I've tried throttle like this on a sustained load. I expect notebookcheck's review to look a bit like the new Fujitsu Celsius... Another "workstation" laptop with a single heat pipe cooling a mobile Xeon 1535 v5 and getting beat by 7700hq devices in sustained multi threaded loads.

I'm glad Notebookcheck is finally checking for consistency of benchmark scores and sustained performance throttling and calling devices and manufactures out on it a little more. This type of behavior is really deceptive in my opinion. People read one off reviews on products like the surface pro, the GS line of MSI laptops and other thin and light performance machines and think, "gee this is a really fast machine because it got X score on this benchmark." Potential buyers think they are comparing apples to apples, but the MSI GS63VR will only get that awesome score once or twice and then drop to CPU scores seen two generations ago or worse.

10. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    Can you try the test again after repaste the system?