New P71 owner mini review and rant

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PsyberEMT, Jun 16, 2017.

1. PsyberEMT

PsyberEMT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Happy to help!

sicily428 likes this.
  2. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, undervolting didn't help with the current limit? Interesting. Is this value defined by Lenovo in the EC firmware?

I'm definitely interested in this model in particular since the current competition (e.g. from Dell or HP) has unappealing looks IMHO. But, I never owned a Lenovo so I hope they're open for upgrades and with no component whitelisting?

3. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    Lenovo whitelists Network-cards (WWAN/WLAN). Maybe in the case of the P71 also the GPU (which uses MXM), although I am not 100 % sure about that.

4. PsyberEMT

Reputations:
    The undervolt greatly reduced the current limit throttling, but it didn't stop it completely. The thermal performance is getting so bad now that decompressing a large .tar yesterday caused thermal throttling. I figure it's a bad paste job in combination with too-low current limits in firmware.

Once the tech fixes the thermal issue I'm going to test the current problem. That's something they can fix via a firmware upgrade. The actual cooling solution seems plenty adequate. When I did that long GPU benchmark the GPU never got over 61C. Definitely plenty of headroom for more CPU current.

huntnyc likes this.
  5. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess you're right.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...ill-P70-support-Lenovo-OEM-P5000/td-p/3581982

I'm used to Dell workstations where there's no such whitelisting whatsoever (e.g. you can mount Geforce cards as well), so that's completely unacceptable for me then.

6. kimocal

kimocal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Any updates on tech visit? I have a P51 and seem to be experiencing thermal issues myself.

7. PsyberEMT

Reputations:
    So an update. The heatsink units are on a 30 day delay. They told me back order, they told another Lenovo forum member that the repair depots just haven't received them yet. Either way I decided not to wait and requested a complete exchange of the unit. It should ship June 29th and arrive July 9th. If you're having issues and are within 30 days of purchase I'd strongly suggest this route.

Sammamish and huntnyc like this.
  8. soodesune

soodesune Newbie

Reputations:
    Does the P71 have exactly the same screen options as the P70? I'm interested in UHD screen in particular. According to the notebookcheck review P70 had problems with annoying low-frequency PWM and screen bleeding , I wonder if it's the case with P71 also.

9. PsyberEMT

Reputations:
    Well, got the replacement. New just like old. Thermal and current level throttling. Will be returning and purchasing an Alienware 17 R4. At least it can keep it's cool.

Attached Files:

10. sicily428

sicily428 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why alienware? You could have better options. IMO