New P71 owner mini review and rant

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PsyberEMT, Jun 16, 2017.

1. PsyberEMT

PsyberEMT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally received my heavily delayed ThinkPad P71 mobile workstation. Ordered in early May, delivered mid June after a bunch of broken delivery date promises.

Overall I'm happy with the unit, save one glaring fault that I'll get to in a bit.

Specs:
    Xeon 1535m v6
    64GB DDR4 2400 RAM
    Nvidia Quadro P4000
    4k Panasonic IPS LCD
    2 x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro NVME in RAID 0 (boot)
    2 x 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA in RAID 0 (data, software RAID, unit only supports 1 array in UEFI)
    Sierra Wireless EM7455 LTE-A WWAN
    Intel 8265 WLAN
    Pantone Colorimeter

Initial observations:
    This is a large, heavy, well-built machine, just as I expected it to be. Though the LCD panel is surprisingly thin, there is little to no flex. Zero body flex and barely any keyboard flex.

My other work laptop is a Dell Precision M5520, so a lot of my observations will be comparing the two.

Great ThinkPad keyboard. I miss the "old" ThinkPad keyboards, especially the one from my W520, but I digress. Loads better than the flat, uninspired chiclets on the 5520.

The trackpad is ok. I am happy to have the physical buttons back, but I had kind of gotten accustomed to the "clicky style" trackpad on the 5520. The P71's trackpad is smaller and not quite as smooth as the 5520. 5520 uses Windows Precision drives whereas the ThinkPad uses the trusty old Synaptics. I don't use the TrackPoint all that much, but I know a lot of people like it.

The display is very nice, plenty bright, plenty sharp with some backlight bleed but nowhere near as bad as the Samsung PLS panel on the Clevo unit I returned after 3 days of use. Matte finish of course.

Speakers are surprisingly good for a mobile workstation. Not gaming laptop good of course, but way better than the down-firing ones on the 5520.

Thermals are not what I would expect from a machine of this caliber. During heavy SQL or GIS load the processor regularly hangs out in the mid 85c range. Fans aren't terribly loud and it honestly sounds like they could go higher to cope with the heat.

CPU...now the rant starts. I am experiencing a good bit of both thermal and current throttling when under heavy load, be it synthetic or real-life (see attached screen captures from XTU). I've seen it throttle all the way down to 2.4Ghz while under load. For testing I applied a stable -150mv undervolt and that took care of the thermal throttling and most but not all of the current limit throttling. I refuse, however, to have to mod a professional workstation of this caliber. I have submitted a ticket to Lenovo Support. I'm sure a repaste with good quality TIM would eliminate the thermal issues. The current limit throttling, no clue.

P71 Throttling.png P71 both throttling.png

Peon, Starlight5, win32asmguy and 3 others like this.
  2. tbagg

tbagg Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm glad to see a review of the P71 in this forum. I'm one of the people who has been wanting to buy this laptop because I use the TrackPoint and refuse to buy a laptop without trackpoint. I am also currently using a W520 and I think it is about the right time to upgrade since p71 has a proper keyboard and finally offers some graphics cards you can game with.

Can you submit your video card benchmarks on this site? There is no p4000 on the mobile graphics chart yet.

Anyway, again, i'm glad to see your review. I have been searching the internet the past 4 weeks and no one has said anything. Finally I saw your post. I guess everyone must be waiting for them to ship.

Kent T and PsyberEMT like this.
  3. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    Are you sure it doesn´t have a Precision TrackPad? My P51 has one and as far as I know, every ThinkPad of this generation should have one.

The stress-testing - that is with the AC-adapter connected? My P51 also throttles, but only on battery, with the AC adapter connected, it runs at almost full speed. Also, is it the 230 W adapter? Have you checked all the power related settings in the BIOS, the Lenovo settings app and Windows power management?

PsyberEMT likes this.
  4. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very appreciative of the review. I hope Lenovo sorts out the throttling issues for you. I considered this laptop seriously but opted for another desktop in the end.

5. PsyberEMT

Reputations:
    Sure! Full Passmark:
    Full Passmark.png
    And the sad throttling during the benchmark (Yellow is thermal, bright red is current limit)
    Passmark XTU.png

I stand corrected! I didn't realize you could have precision and Synaptics side by side.
    I'm not just getting throttling during stress testing and benchmarking. Even rebuilding indices in SQL or doing geometry calculations in ArcGIS results in throttling. It was plugged in to the 230 watt power adapter the entire time with a 100% charge. My guess is a combination of bad luck in the silicon lottery (which should never happen with Xeon branded silicon) and a poor thermal paste application. I opened a ticket with Lenovo and they're sending a tech out. Question is how long will it take? There was a shortage of the Xeons when I ordered it, resulting in a 3 week delivery delay. We'll see if the depot has any for repair. A simple repaste would probably fix it but Lenovo said they're just going to replace the MB.

Will update when the repairs are completed!

huntnyc likes this.
  6. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Thanks for this review :)

do you use softwares like solidworks/catia/creo/siemens nx?
    could you test this gpu with SPECviewperf 12?
    are there better performances than m5000m?

upload_2017-6-17_14-15-18.png

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    PsyberEMT likes this.
  7. PsyberEMT

Reputations:
    I downloaded specviewperf but unfortunately I don't use 3dsmax or any of the other applications that it tests for, so I don't have the required licensing to run the benchmarks :(. It won't even load without 3dsmax being installed. I primarily do GIS work with ArcGIS, ArcGIS Pro and QGIS.

The best comparison I could find for GPU compute was from the Passmark GPU compute results.
    My P4000 (which is not overheating, I haven't seen it go over 60C under full synthetic load) scored 4753
    The full desktop M5000 averages 4300
    The M5000M averages 3435

So the P4000 easily beats out both the mobile and desktop M5000 card.

In regular 3D Mark the P4000 still dominates the M5000M and still beats out the desktop M5000:
    GPU comparo.png

Wish I could run the better benchmark, but I hope this helps :).

sicily428 likes this.
  8. sicily428

Reputations:
    do you know this?
    https://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    PsyberEMT likes this.
  9. PsyberEMT

Reputations:
    sicily428 likes this.
  10. sicily428

Reputations:
    Many Thanks! These infos are really usefull :)