New Owner Question: Raid on the Titan-427??

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Bobbert9, Nov 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The labelling is irrelevant on a non-standard gt73vr I would say. The gt75 has the same chassis and same sata only label, while it actually is an nvme slot in that place. I'd give that a shot just for the heck of it and see if it might also be an nvme slot despite the markings (cause we love how clear msi is on a lot of things). You really have nothing to lose, worst case it won't recognize the drive and you will take it out again... Honestly, I would say you should be happy you cannot do the raid config. In raid, if one drive fails or gets corrupted, it will take all the data from both drives to hell with it... With non-raid config, the other drive will always be safe and you will only lose the data on the failed drive rather than everything.

2. Bobbert9

Bobbert9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you are so right about the raid thing. I know they were advertising raid 0 for performance, but if I was gonna try it, I was going to do mirroring and not striping, for redundancy (I don't trust any drives and I make weekly backups.) However I don't even know if raid 1 was available because nobody ever talked about it, so either way, I'm not upset I can't do raid. I do wish I had 3 m.2 ports tho, just to add as much storage as possible. The other port, the one labeled sata, is keyed opposite of the nvme (pcie1) port. My NVME drives are both M-key style, so I can't try one of them in the sata labelled port unless I flip it around upside down, and then it still won't fit because the number of pins to the outside of the notch is different (M-key has 5 pins on the edge and B-key has 6 pins.) I just need to get a drive with the opposite key style (or even one with both would work) to put in that spot. I will likely put my other Evo 970 in my desktop which boots from an older Adata 256gb m.2 nvme drive, which runs about 3 times slower than the 970 Evo.

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's really a difficult choice when you look at this.
    Supposedly, SSD is more durable than HDD but when something goes wrong with them.
    Data on a failed HDD sometimes is recoverable by luck but on SSD is nearly non-recoverable and requires miracle. :)

Bobbert9 likes this.
  4. cisco kidd

cisco kidd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Thats a different one. I actually just sold my GT73 Vr Titan yesterday. I was and am unsure if the second GT upgrade will actually ever happen so after owning it for 20 mths I decided to get some value out of it , it had warranty remaining until April/19 based on my inquiry with the rep who assisted on the original upgrade.

I pocketed some cash and got a like new but used in mint shape GT72S 6QF-061 4K unit w 6820HK/16GB DDR4 & 980 GTX 8GB along w 2x128GB nvme in raid 0 w 1TB hgst. The screen is beautiful on this one w 4K res but I am unsure if these support G Sync. So far enjoyng it and seems 980 GTX equal or a tad faster than a 1060 so I am happy, just not as efficient..

5. Bobbert9

Reputations:
    I went in the BIOS finally to edit my vr setting from auto to 800, and noticed that my model is GT73EVR, however I bought this unit inside the USA where I live so I wonder if MSI just used this holiday season to move all remaining stock of these, no matter where they sold. Or, maybe both the "E" and non-"E" versions share the same BIOS. Everything about it says GT73VR, except inside the BIOS. Interesting.

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They share the same bios.
    They have a different EC because the EVR doesn't support an SLI configuration, however the .108 EC does work on the EVR and the .112 EC works on the VR. The .112 EC has a max power draw cap of 330W, going any higher instantly throttles the CPU to 800 mhz without any throttling flags being set. This doesn't happen on the .108 EC.

I do NOT know if you flash the .108 EC on the GT73EVR, if you will get a >330W power cap (since .108 has to support SLI) or even if SLI would work if you installed a 2nd 1070 card and the SLI heatsinks. I have no idea if the second MXM slot is there or physically removed.

Bioses are identical.
    GT73EVR name is set via SMBUS, not by bios. If you look in the bios in AMIBCP, you will see the product name says "Please change product name".

Bobbert9 and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  7. Bobbert9

Reputations:
    Gotcha. As far as I can tell the second MXM header doesn't exist on my board. I just have a lot of wasted space there. The mobo has a clean edge going around that bay so I don't even think there's tracers for a slot header. Makes sense tho with the lower chipset and everything - I got the tail-end of the Titans haha. But it's my first gaming laptop and I like it. I've already learned a lot so if I do this again I will know more when I research. Only quirk I've noticed so far is the Killer Networks card (1435) doesn't come back after the laptop goes to sleep. Even a soft reboot doesn't help - I have to power cycle. It was one of the things I was gonna have XoticPC upgrade but I figured I could change it myself later if I needed to.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.