New Owner Question: Raid on the Titan-427??

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Bobbert9, Nov 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bobbert9

Bobbert9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've ordered my GT73VR Titan-427 and while waiting I've picked up an M.2 Samsung 970 Evo 500mb to clone the OS onto from the HDD when it arrives.

Can I do raid from the M.2 bays? I can't get a firm answer on the number and kind of M.2 ports. I saw a video that indicated (2) PCIE M.2 NVME ports and (1) M.2 SATA III port, all above the 2.5" Sata bay.

However in research I'm seeing (1) PCIE M.2 NVME port and (1) M.2 SATA III port, with no header on the third spot. And then the 2.5" Sata bay under these.

I'd like to get another 500mb Evo NVME and do raid mirror, because the speed should be plenty fast on NVME with those drives. BUT, if there is only 1 NVME and the other slot is SATA III, then running raid like that (if possible) would then slow down both drives to SATA III speeds, correct?

I probably won't mess with raid if there aren't two NVME slots. It's just been hard to verify.

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The GT73VR Titan Pro has:

2 m.2 slots NVMe
    1 m.2 slot SATA
    1 2.5" bay

The newer GT75 has all the 3 m.2 slots as NVMe that's how I have my storage setup the way you see it in my signature, the three m.2 Samsung 960 PRO 2TB are in a RAID 0 Array (AKA Super RAID 4 in MSI Terms) and then the 4TB 850 EVO is on its own

Bobbert9 likes this.
  3. Bobbert9

Reputations:
    This is would be great but is my model a Pro? I thought the Pro had a 1080/sli option with a better motherboard than the standard/1070 version. If the boards are the same then I'll go ahead and get another NVME drive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. Spartan

Reputations:
    I had the MSI GT73VR Titan Pro-425 I wasn't aware that there are Pro and non Pro variants or if there is any difference with regards to how many NVMe ports there are.

Maybe @Kevin@GenTechPC can shed some light here

Bobbert9 likes this.
  5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    MSI Naming convention can be confusing sometimes.
    If you look up this model MSI GT73VR 7RE Titan SLI 4K 423, it has 1070 in SLI. And regarding both M.2 slots you have 1st M.2 NVMe/SATA capable, and 2nd M.2 slot NVMe only.
    https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GT73VR-TITAN-PRO-4K-SLI-7th-Gen-GEFORCE<sup>®<sup>-GTX-1070-SLI/Specification

GT73VR TITAN PRO 4K (7th Gen) (GEFORCE® GTX 1080) is not SLI, and MSI did not release any SKU with 1080 SLI.
    Certain models from the 7th gen line up are limited and you may not be able to get certain models unless someone stocks it.

All GT73VR models with Intel 7th gen (US only).
    https://us.msi.com/search/GT73VR/product/1

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

ryzeki, Bobbert9 and Spartan like this.
  6. Spartan

Reputations:
    That link is for the -423 though he has the -427.

This is the correct link:

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GT73VR-TITAN-PRO-7th-Gen-GEFORCE<sup>®<sup>-GTX-1070/Specification

I was under the impression that all GT73VR titan Pro models, came with:

Slot = NVMe + Sata m.2
    Slot 2 = NVMe + SATA m.2
    Slot 3= SATA M.2 only (with no NVMe)

Please correct me if I'm wrong unless the motherboards are different across different variants.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Bobbert9 likes this.
  7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    You are right on the slots, there are other details I am looking into right now so I will update you guys shortly.

Bobbert9 and Spartan like this.
  8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Update:
    GT73 427 only has 1x M.2 slot + 1x 2.5" bay.
    The rest of GT73 or GT75 has 3x M.2 slots + 1x 2.5" bay.

Spartan and Bobbert9 like this.
  9. Bobbert9

Reputations:
    Ok that sucks. My second M.2 Samsung EVO 500mb just shipped this morning. Sigh. Well maybe I can return it when it comes in lol. Thanks for the update, Kevin. Guess I won't be doing Raid after all.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  10. Bobbert9

Reputations:
    I wonder why XoticPC was offering to populate at least 2 M.2 drives in their configuration. And on HIDEvolution's page, they were offering RAID setups with M.2, on the 427. This was why it was so hard to figure out exactly what slots were available.