New Owner-initial tests

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by llcamino, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's quite common, I wouldn't consider yourself unlucky! That difference definitely isn't acceptable for you going forward. Most people quote their highest temps, not average. Where are you based? What CPU and GPU have you got again?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. llcamino

llcamino Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am in Delaware, USA. I have the i7 7700HQ and the GTX 1060

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

3. llcamino

Reputations:
    So I called Dell Tech support on Saturday and they ran their remote tests showing at least a 25+ core temp differential. The tech said it was perfectly normal. I asked to escalate which they did. That rep acted as if I was giving brand new information regarding the poor heatsink design. I told him its all over the web. He basically asked me to prove it so I linked him to this forum. Then he asked me to take a screen shot of HWINFO and include it in an email. (Of course the CPU had been done its test for 5 or more minutes so of course temps were equalizing). Anyway, they said they would send it to "L3" and get back to me. Well, the response I received today was more of the same. (Quoted below). They are acting like this is not a known wide-spread problem. I was all set to do a repaste on my own to see if I could bring it reasonably under control, but now they've p*ssed me off by acting as if I'm an idiot.
    Is there another department I should contact? I read something about a separate Alienware support?

"Each core will provide its own temperatures as the CPU see fit. This is not an issue, unless there is overheating and performance drops"

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

4. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Technically they are right in their response what you have quoted above. What you need to do is prove that they are reaching 90C+ and that this is resulting thermal throttling (use hwinfo)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. llcamino

Reputations:
    During the remote test they had HWINFO open. They ran whatever Dell Diagnostic test they use on their site which doesn't seem to push things too far. If I recall correctly it did spike to 90 but they were more concerned with the average or it getting above 93C which it didn't do on the Dell test but easily does on other tests. Plus, I had the laptop propped up 2 inches in the back. I realise now that I should have had it flat unless otherwise instructed.

Either way, what's most annoying was their attitude that this is something they've never heard about.
    Thats why I'm wondering if there is a shortcut to all of the B.S. dancing around and explaining the problem from the very beginning.
    "Please connect me to the department of the people who have a clue."

Pete Light likes this.