New Nvidia RTX 2080 and 2080 TI OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED + Preorder

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by GizmoSlip, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've done a ton of research into Ultrabooks with 4-lane tb3, just waiting to see real analysis with shipping hardware for the 20 series. Speculation and pontification are fun, but they are not facts.

Honestly I'll probably just grab a cheap 10 series card and wait till the next round for rtx.

long2905, JRE84 and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Facts are fun...

JRE84 and hfm like this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Lol I edited, meant to say "they are not facts"

JRE84 and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Noticed, was about to update my post too, but since you replied I'll leave it up for the lulz. :)
    That's what I think too, right now the best opportunity are the cheap last gen cards, as long as prices stay low - this is going to vary a lot based on sentiment toward the RTX line - which changes daily - and is months away even for many of those that pre-ordered - delivery in November was the last I heard, probably even further out by now.

Darkhan, hfm and JRE84 like this.
  5. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am happily pre ordered on 2080 TI since I rather get the cards sooner than later and I already have a very good guess on where performance will be. I will just cancel it if it is terrible and buy an used titan v.

hmscott, JRE84 and Talon like this.
  6. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes they waited 2 years before upgrading Pascal, but can you blame them when AMD and Intel are years behind in R&D ? (people speak about 7nm AMD in 2019, well I think they forget that in 2019 Nvidia will not be sleeping and 7nm GPU will be released).

So here we have a GPU that should have, on the paper, putting aside all those A.I, RTX, etc. 30-40% increase in raw performance compared to a Pascal GPU, this should be enough, 12nm is not 7nm people, don't expect some miracle ! However, that Tensor core and RTX unit can offer some pretty cool features like DLSS.

RTX cards are a demo of what could be done when you're 10/7nm node is delayed, rather than lazily cramming more CUDA cores on the die they added new softwares and new hardwares with a slightly better 12nm fabrication node. It's better than a Pascal cards but does not justify an upgrade if you have a 1070+ not because Turing is not good enough, but because Pascal was so damn good it is still relevant in this industry after two years (relevant = 1080p/60+ fps in top notch 2018/2019 AAA games).

real jaw-dropping performance will come with the 7nm finfet node fabrication in 2019 :). My advice would be for enthusiast grade Pascal owners to wait for 2019 Nvidia 7nm GPUs.

Aroc and hmscott like this.
  7. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There won't be any 7 nm geforce cards in 2019. Nvidia has a policy of not jumping onto the latest node as soon as it becomes available, mainly because of cost. They'll wait an extra year and release the new cards in 2020, when 7 nm has matured and yields are better. All of the rumours currently point to Navi being a mid-range only product, which means Nvidia don't have to worry about competition from AMD in the high end segment anytime soon. This is reflected in the insane pricing of the new cards and it also provides Nvidia with no reasons to release new cards in 2019.

I would wait until we have some reliable third party reviews of the new Turing cards before making any claims about their performance vs pascal.

hmscott likes this.
  8. ddomaster

ddomaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    any news on when laptops with rtx cards will be out?

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The GeForce RTX 2070 ($500 USD), RTX 2080 ($700), and RTX 2080 Ti ($1000), all of which will launch on September 20, 2018

so laptops maybe another 6 months but no one really knows

source: Gamespot

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Those prices aren't real - those are the "keynote" prices which are all hundreds less than the Founder/Reference Edition Pre-order prices on Nvidia, and all the other online prices I've seen are hundreds higher... there's like 1 Asus "blower" model 2080 at $725, everything else is over $800, with $869 the highest - I haven't checked since yesterday...

If you go in expecting those ultra low sucker prices given at the keynote, you will be disappointed. Nvidia did this last time too, there were never any GPU's at those keynote prices, the prices started at the Nvidia pre-order prices and went up from there.

Source: Reality. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.