New Nvidia RTX 2080 and 2080 TI OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED + Preorder

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by GizmoSlip, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Hey, that's Todd's line!

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    ALLurGroceries, ExMM, Papusan and 4 others like this.
  3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Every single video I have watched on YouTube is flooded with comments about how “bad” the performance of the 20-series is. And endless comments on how it’s not worth the cost, etc. Ironically, the performance is actually pretty good over the 10-series. People just do not understand the new technology and its impact on performance. I’ve been trying to explain the performance impact by comparing Ray-Tracing to Hairworks (to dumb things down a bit).

hmscott likes this.
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Charles thanks for sharing that with us. I am pretty sure I told NBR it would see a 50 percent bump and everyone here made me look like a fool.

5. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We will see the IPC improvements and such. I expect considerable improvements from Volta considering the design of GV100.

6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    http://www.codercorner.com/blog/?p=2013

Really good read on why ray tracing is important and a a fairly large step forward in video games. Most of the negativity online seems to be from people that just recently got into PC gaming and don’t remember or weren’t around when you upgraded your video card to support new features demanded by a new game.

The prices are pretty high but a RTX 2080 can be had for $749 on Newegg and that is less than a lot of 1080 Ti cards.

7. nemoris

nemoris Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What is Nvidia's track record with their claims vs reality? Not being sarcastic by the way, actually curious.

I'm most interested in how much of a downgrade the mobile versions will be due to the much higher TDP. Are we going back to "m"? Well I guess "Max-Q" is sort of the new "m"....

DreDre likes this.
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 20 series cards aren't going anywhere, and as well we're going to be waiting till Q1 2019 before we see MXM cards. I still see no reason to jump at these unless you just have to have a new card to play with. Just going to wait until September/October to see thorough analysis of what the performance and power efficiency looks like for non-RTX gaming workloads vs the 10 series.

I was planning on getting an ultrabook and an eGPU with a 1080 or 1080ti, but I'll probably just wait until I can see how these new cards are performing first.

Atma likes this.
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just don't get it.

3D TVs added another dimension yet you (the masses) said it was a gimmick.
    RTX brings the epitome of realism (photorealism) and yet again it's a gimmick to the masses.

I guess we are de-evolving as a society, bring back mario bros then.

edit. heck bring back horses and carts, re-invent the wheel. I really don't care at this point.

on a happier side, 50 percent boost non-rtx over 1080ti and 1080 respectively

triturbo likes this.
  10. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1) The Volta SM is not the same as the Turing SM

2) IIRC, the Titan V was only 5 - 10 % faster than the 1080ti in games when the framerates were normalized for the differences in clock speed and CUDA core count. It was significantly better in DX12 games though.

3) If you're planning on using an eGPU wait for Thunderbolt 4 (4 lanes of PCIe 4) in order to overcome the bandwidth bottleneck of TB3. It should be in consumer laptops by 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.