New machine to be mainly used with Adobe Software

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ozzy00100, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozzy00100

ozzy00100 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Thanks for all your advice.

I am unfortunately unable to use the macbook, as I need to be on Windows, while I am here. Although parallels or something similar is something I looked into, unfortunately it is not practical.

I am leaning towards a Zbook or precision based on the advice above. I am also considering investing in two 512GB SSDs based on the advice here and connecting them with RAID 0. I was wondering however would it be much better than a 1TB Hybrid SSD ?

Thanks again !

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    A hybrid HDD is just a hard drive with a SSD cache in it (typically 8-32GB). You can't use the SSD cache itself (ie, it won't appear as a useable drive under Windows), and the only advantage that a hybrid HDD has over a traditional HDD is that the firmware will predict what programs you use the most and try to speed up the I/O in those. For example, Windows will boot slightly faster and Photoshop (for example) will load up a bit quicker. But programs you don't use often won't benefit from the SSD cache as much, so you're back to HDD speeds for those.

Two SSDs in RAID 0 would be the fastest option for I/O that you can buy for a laptop. As I mentioned before, the chances of failure for such a configuration will be higher than a single SSD (or two SSDs in a non-RAID 0 configuration), though if you maintain frequent backups on an external drive(s), you should be okay in that regard. Just make sure you get reliable SSDs; personally, I usually only recommend Crucial, Intel, and Samsung drives, though according to some members here the SanDisk Extreme Pro series are also good drives. In general, I'd avoid anything with a Sandforce controller in it (except Intel, which writes their own firmware for it), or anything else which doesn't use a Marvell/Samsung controller in it.

3. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    For comparison here are sequential read speeds for some available HDD/SSD options.
    • 7200RPM HDD: 100-130MB/s
    • 2x7200RPM HDD Raid0: 200-260MB/s
    • 1TB Hybrid: 150-200MB/s
    • Most recent mSATA SSDs: 500-550MB/s
    • 2xSSD Raid0: 1000-1100MB/s
    • 3xSSD Raid0: ~1300+MB/s (at 3x or 4x SSD Raid you begin to see diminishing returns with mSATA - not sure about M2 connection)

This is example of sequential read speed for a large file, speeds are going to be different for various tasks, but generally the SSDs are going to be much faster.

For 64-bit Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects I'd also suggest to try to find the laptop with the best i7 quad core CPU you can afford within your budget and as much RAM as possible. I've never used Fireworks, so I'm not sure about hardware requirements for that program.

4. ozzy00100

ozzy00100 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the great advice. I am looking at the following

DELL PRECISION M6800 4910MQ K4100M 32GB 1080P MTOUCH 1TB ( 2 x 512SSD) 8.1 PRO WCAM FPT NQ0152

Thanks

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Pretty powerful configuration you have there. Should last you a good number of years when you leave the Middle East.

6. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    :eek: *drool*

Wow, that looks like a winner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.