New machine to be mainly used with Adobe Software

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ozzy00100, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozzy00100

ozzy00100 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is your budget?
    Up to $3000

What country will you be buying this in?
    US or UK

What size notebook do you prefer?
    Desktop Replacement (17-inch + screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?
    Like: Dell
    Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
    Yes

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
    Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, Photo Editing, Video Editing, Computer Programming, Video Chat and Conference, Output Video to TV or Large Monitor

- I will mainly be using the laptop for Adobe products - Photoshop, Illustrator, fireworks and sometimes After effects. I like to keep all the windows open at the same time.

- A large screen is my most important requirement.

- I would like a 1Tb hybrid drive ideally due to cost (1 TB SSD would be ideal though)

- I need to use windows, because of the servers and software that I use, so cannot use a mac.

- I am currently working in Afghanistan for a Charity, so I need to be sure that I go for a good brand which is unlikely to cause me issues until I get back, as I expect there will be limited support here and cannot really be without a laptop.. I am open to a refurbished machine, provided that I have confidence that it will not cause issues. I understand that dell offers some support in Afghanistan, so this is my preferred brand.

- I have up to $3000 to spend but would prefer to spend less, as I am not keen to use an expensive machine here.

- I am looking at the top of the range 17inch inspiron 7000, with 16GB, 1TB hybrid and multi-touch screen.

- I am worried though that the Inspiron 7000 is not powerful enough to work seamlessly.

- I generally have illustrator open working on multiple artboards and this often causes the illustratro software to close unexpectedly or for the machine to slowdown heavily on my current laptop which is a 17inch macbook pro from Feb 2011. I am keen to avoid this happening on the Inspiron 7000 and would like to be able to work with Fireworks, Illustrator and word open all at the same time without concern.

- I also looking at some refurbished precision machines on ebay, from a reliable supplier.

- If the inspiron 7000 range is powerful enough I would be happy to go for this machine.

Where will you be using this laptop?
    Will be used different places including on the road, on planes

How many hours of battery life do you need?

Will you be buying online or in store?
    online or in store

Which OS do you prefer?
    Windows 8 or Windows 7

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
    Max Resolution (1920 x 1080)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
    Glossy or Matte is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
    No

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
    Around 11/03/2014

How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2 years

How much storage capacity do you need?
    1 TB Hybrid SSD

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
    Maybe

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
    DVD Burner

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  2. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    Rather than 1TB hybrid SSD, you might want to consider a laptop model with two empty mSATA bays - you can pick up a couple of 480-512GB mSATA SSDs for around $200-230 ea and install them in Raid0. The faster read/write speeds will make a difference working with large files in Adobe applications.

3. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would flip to the workstation side and look for an M6700 or M6800 myself. you can run a couple TB easily and 32 GB RAM.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I'd have to second a workstation laptop like the M6800 that KCETech1 suggests, but for other options I'd also consider the HP ZBook 17.

As for the storage, another option to consider would be to have a SSD as your OS and programs drive and then use the remaining HDD bay or two for storage drives (mechanical drives). Fairly cheap option that gives decent I/O. Personally I don't recommend using RAID for performance boosts since those setups increase the chances of data loss; the only RAID setups I'd personally recommend are those for data reliability.

5. moviemarketing

Reputations:
    Depends on what kind of files OP is working with, but generally for creative apps, I would avoid using mechanical drive for the file storage, other than for archival stuff.

For example, when I work on large outdoor advertising, my Photoshop scratch disk can balloon up to 100GB. Mechanical drive really slows down my work with these kinds of files, or large video stuff, etc., as a result takes me longer to finish the job. Raid0 provides nearly double the read/write speeds of the individual drives so you are spending less time sitting around waiting for tasks.

Fortunately haven't experienced any issues so far running two SSDs in Raid0 as my primary drive for a number of years, just in case I backup to external drive, same as I'd do if they were not Raid configured.

6. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    I see what you're saying, but you are comparing an HDD to SSDs in RAID0. The real jump in speed is from an HDD to a single SSD, the extra performance you get from having SSDs in RAID above a single SSD is far less significant, and as said, less reliable. I have seen this setup fail before. But, yes, backup is key and often ignored.

7. moviemarketing

Reputations:
    If I understand correctly, you'd need to have three or four SSDs in Raid0 before you start seeing diminishing returns. Two decent mSATA SSDs when Raid-ed should yield around 1000MB/s - 1100MB/s sequential reads, roughly double the speed of a single SSD. For most usage scenarios this is overkill, but it is a timesaver when working with large files in Adobe apps.

8. ozzy00100

ozzy00100 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the messages above - really appreciated

a) Do you think it would be possible to set up a Raid 0 with 2 SSD drives on the Inspiron 7000
    b) I am actually quite keen on a precision, but as I am in Afghanistan at the moment, I am worried that it might get damaged as a number of my other electric/digital devices are not working properly here. If possible, I am keen to go for the Inspiron to get me through the next few months and then invest in the precision on my return. Keen to find out if Inspiron will be able to handle illustrator with many artboards open together with Fireworks open without the programmes crashing and keep me going until I get back ?

Thanks again for all your help and advice...

Kind regards

Zaheer

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    The problem with the Insprion is that if you're looking for high performance for Adobe's software, you're going to want something with a Quadro or a FirePro card, which are usually only found in workstation laptops (and some gaming laptops, but durability is an issue with those as well as the Insprion).

SSDs (in RAID or not) can only help you with improving I/O; they can't help you with actually performing the calculations required to do your work.

In addition, the Insprion 7000 only comes with ULV processors (those ending with -U), which will be a major performance bottleneck for Adobe-related stuff.

10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Have you considered adding ram or an ssd to your Macbook Pro? It isn't particularly hard to upgrade that series to 16GB and something like a 480GB SSD for about $400 total. If that could last until you get back to the states it would probably be cheaper and faster than an Inspiron 7000. The SSD (and possibly RAM) could then be moved to a workstation class notebook.

As far as workstations go, I like the Zbook 17. It is very thick, but the build quality is great. HP has recently gotten a bit more sane on their pricing, too. The have a prebuilt configuration K4K40UT that is available for about $2000 (slightly less from resellers like Newegg) which is very price competitive with what Dell offers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.