New MacBook Pro with 8th Gen Intel CPUs

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Ultra Male, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yup. I was an HP hater for years. Their chintzy garbage drove me to Dell hell, and now it has all turned to poop. I decided to never own another HP piece of trash way back in like 2005. I got rid of everything with their branding, including my HP printers. Lesson learned: Never say never. But, I started being a Dell-hater when Alienware made their entire product line disposable trashbooks. They have gotten rapidly worse and literally nothing they sell functions correctly today (including their desktop trash). The moral to the story is, if you want something done right, do it yourself. I may regret buying an HP ZBook (I hope not) but there was no way I was going to grace the Dell name with my presence after their acts of betrayal. HP has sucked for years now, so nothing new. Plus, I couldn't buy a Dell Precision new enough to be worth owning for under $400. I'm putting all of my enthusiasm into desktops now. There's no love left in my heart for notebook filth.

Splintah, Aroc, Maleko48 and 4 others like this.
  2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    you and me both pal :(

Aroc, Ashtrix, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  3. Ali hussnain

Ali hussnain Newbie

Reputations:
    I found the whole discussion sound good and valuable for me.

Aroc, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. AU4U

AU4U Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unless its a great big chassis with some serious cooling, forget it, its just not meant for any thin notebook.
    As for gaming, no game utilizes the i9, so its a waist of money for gamers, good for business and graphic though.
    I personally don't see any business person or executive carrying around a GT75 or GT83.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Aroc and Vasudev like this.
  5. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Another big gotcha for these new Apple laptops - reports that 3rd party or in-home repairs may now brick the machine. Hooray!! Who wants one??!!??

- https://gizmodo.com/reports-newest-macbook-pro-bricked-if-not-repaired-by-1829548786

Being discussed here - http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ics-to-function-after-certain-repairs.823638/

Aroc, Vasudev, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  7. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes forget notebooks, also forget intel

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Don't update to A10 BIOS and stick with A08 since A10 bricked whilst updating for some users like @judal57

hmscott likes this.
  9. Aeris

Aeris Ethereal

Reputations:
    I found this conversation to be rather enlightening. It has not changed my decision of purchasing a MacBook Pro come 2019 (I have my reasons, mostly career and work related ones), but it has made me aware of the potential issues that there might be with such a machine, for which I am thankful.

It has also informed me of the drawbacks that there would be if I were to go with an Intel Core i9 processor in my MacBook Pro, which I am now resolute not to go with.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  10. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A10 is the worst BIOS i have seen on a laptop. stay with A08 if you use AGA and A06 if dont :)

Vasudev likes this.