New MacBook (Air?) 2018

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by iMbaQ, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    No. MacBook has weaker processor and less ports. MBA actually has more utility.

2. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has better everything, apart from the screen/bezels!

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    The bezels do not bother me at all, in fact I like bezels as they serve as a buffer zone away from the fringes of the display to minimize risk of damage. Resolution of 900P is fine at 13.3" display. Only thing I could ask more from the MBA display is higher color gamut and brightness. Other than that, it is a perfect thin-n-light companion computer. At least I don't need a dongle to hook my iphone into it!

4. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It does have Touch ID:

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    And Apple has done it again, taking a once decent machine and turning it to complete sh!t again. Goodbye magsafe, goodbye standard USB ports, goodbye sd card slot. Very strange they chose to keep the headphone jack, I expect that will also be gone in the next refresh. So to recap:
    Pros of the 2018 model
    • Higher gamut, higher resolution display
    • Stronger/more efficient Processors
    • TouchID
    • Forcetouch Trackpad
    Cons of the 2018 model
    • No standard USB 3.0A
    • No MagSafe
    • No SD Card Slot
    • Extremely limited ports (2 x USB C only)
    • 200$ Price hike over the old model while retaining the 128GB base storage (are you fvcking kidding me, in 2018??)
    Carryover from 2017 Model
    • Headphone jack
    Screw you Apple, continuing to become more and more greedy, charging more for less. Not only do I NEED a dongle to hook up my iPhone 8, but I'm reduced to a SINGLE PORT when I hook in my new MBA to charge. Magsafe was amazing, and I could hook in my 2017 model + have 2 USB ports + thunderbolt, with an SD card inserted. I pray for your downfall one day soon.

Spartan likes this.
  6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm more interested in the new Mac Mini. It'd be expensive, but you could create a neat productivity/gaming machine by pairing it with an eGPU. I may pick one up when they start hitting the refurb store.

7. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You’re too kind.

The previous Air and the 2016 non- Touch Bar Pro had 15W CPU’s

The non-Touch Bar Pro also has a 500 nit P3 display.

What does the new Air have?

5W CPU and a ****ty non-P3 300 nit display.

The price difference between it and a 13” Pro Touch Bar doesn’t justify how **** they made it. It’s even made of recycled aluminium and it’s still so expensive. Should knock off £200 off it at least.

hmscott likes this.
  8. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I suppose I have to eat Crow, I was wrong it does heve touch-id although right now I have a regular Macbook Pro 15 inch I would imagine in the future I'd more than likely end up having a Macbook Air as my "Pro" toolage on my macbook has been slowly diminishing. The only thing I currently need out of it is the 15 inch display as I perform more of my heavy CPU or GPU tasks on my Razer Blade 15...

So while many of you are disappointed with this system, I find myself likely migrating to this system in the next 3 years or so lol... Because it's not like the Macbook Pro is getting any cheaper nor worth it's current price tag...

9. Bitech

Bitech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Only $100 cheaper and .25 lbs/120g lighter than the MBP. Uses a fanless CPU.
    Why? Why does this design still exist? This is so dumb. No one in their right mind would even bother with this new "Air" when they can just get a Pro for only $100 more.

Not to mention 2.75 lbs/1.25 kg is really heavy for a fanless laptop. There are over a dozen 13" Windows laptops running 15W CPUs that are LIGHTER than the new MBA. They barely shaved off weight from the old MBA chassis (2.98 lbs/1.35 kg). And 100% recycled aluminum? More like 100% recycled MBA.

What they've should've done is use the 12" Macbook's design for the new MBA. The modern MBP 13 has already taken place of the old Air.

10. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This **** is turning into like Cars either BMW or Mercedes. Basically the highest class car gets all of the upgrades and over the years it just trickles down to the smaller cards. So pretty much the next edition Macbook Air will have touchbar! Great...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.