new macbook air 13.3 inch 2017 linux issues

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Jelky Bellyl, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jelky Bellyl

Jelky Bellyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to buy macbook air 13.3 inch , the newest model from 2017 and install on it linux ( debian, eventually arch / fedora / other distros )
    My question is are there unresolved issues with compability I should expect ( e.g. Slow wifi due to poor quality reverse-engineered driver / not working webcam / mic / lack of control over fan etc. )?
    Cheers

2. PrecisionBassed

PrecisionBassed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lots of good info on this page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/mac

In my (very limited) testing of Fedora Linux on a MacBook Air, I had to install the "non-free" Broadcom driver for the wireless.

3. Jelky Bellyl

Jelky Bellyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yeah, but nothing there adressses specifically New macbook air, only old models.
    wh
    at model of macboik air do you have?

4. PrecisionBassed

PrecisionBassed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think I tested on an 11" 2013 MacBook Air.

I included the link to Arch because they have a pretty smart user base. But additionally you should check the wiki for whichever distro you want to try. For example, if you are interested in Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/MacBook

In my experience, Linux Mint generally has the best hardware support out-of-the-box, because they include "non free" drivers on the install medium. If you get it working in Mint, you can figure out which drivers/modules are in use, and then replicate it on a different distro like Debian.

Jelky Bellyl and Vasudev like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.