New M6500 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Quido, Dec 1, 2009.

1. User32

User32 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bought a M6500 with a 740QM, RGBLED screen, M7820 and 12GB RAM for 180$, dead battery but it's in rather awesome condition.

What can I do with it my Toughbook and desktop can't? Was thinking of triple booting WS2008, WS2016 and Loonix, since it's got two HDDs and I put in a mSATA SSD.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    ygohome likes this.
  2. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds good. The m6500 is still awesome. We have two m6500. One my sister now uses as her daily driver. The other I have setup running vmware workstation similar to how you described for triple boot, except I have VMs. I tried setting up esxi on the m6500 but ran into driver issues so that is why I'm using vmware workstation in win10 as the host. I may consider changing host OS to linux, that would save me a win10 license for something else. The only thing bugs me is that when the host (win10) has an update sometimes it shutsdown and I have to restart my VMs. Which is why I'm interesting moving to linux as host.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. User32

Reputations:
    Bought a bluetooth module on eBay, where do I put it in? Right corner of the screen after removing the bezel, or should I have bought the UWB module instead?

4. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe in my two m6500 the BT module is in the display bezel because it's not in the UWB and it's not in my wifi module. I don't know where in the bezel though but probably obvious once you get it apart. Else you could try easier install of newer wifi module with added BT or try the UWB like you said.

5. User32

Reputations:
    Does anyone have a recovery image for the M6500? Trying to restore it but the Dell restore DVD I have doesn't have any drivers on it whatsoever, it's only a OEM Win7 Professional disk, nothing more.

6. User32

Reputations:
    Got the module in the mail btw, it's in the middle of the screen at the bottom when you remove the bezel.

ygohome likes this.
  7. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
  8. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most of the basic stuff should work from a clean Win7 base install. You will need to download the drivers for other stuff that don't have default drivers in Win7. Use @alexhawker link to get them.

9. User32

Reputations:
    I already have all the drivers but I can't seem to get the RGBLED part working properly, I can't switch between color profiles.

10. User32

Reputations:
    What do I need to make the ultimate M6500?

Already have:
    920XM CPU
    M7820 GPU
    14GB RAM
    a mSATA SSD+500GB HDD
    1920x1200 RGBLED display
    Intel 6300 WLAN card
    Dell DW5550 WWAN card
    Bluetooth
    240W PSU

So I guess i'll only need the UWB card and Fingerprint Reader to max it out?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018