New m18x-R2, severe performance problems and non working SLI

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by jiggymf, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiggymf

jiggymf Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Allrighty, I need some more help then the 3 people who occasionally check the m18x thread ^^

I today received my m18x-r2, with GTX 680m SLI setup.
    Right out of the box, I immediately benched it with 3d mark Vantage.
    After 10 seconds in the first test I saw it's not working correctly at all, I got about 20fps, where even my single 7970m in my m17x hits slightly above 100fps here in the first seconds.
    So that would be really bad for 1 GTX 680m, let alone an SLI setup like I have.
    Both cards show up in Device Manager, hwinfo and gpu-z without problems, though SLI is reported as not enabled. Both cards also show up in the Bios. I also made sure I am running these cards instead of the Ivy Bridge built in one, which actually gives me close to the FPS I get when using the 680m's, that's how bad it is.

In NVidia control panel, I also have no option for SLI. Normally it's a PhysX and SLI option, I only have PhysX available. So it's not that something goes wrong when I click 'enable SLI', it's that I do not have that option at all.

I have since tried a lot of stuff, I have opened the case to check the SLi cable, visually inspected it, reseated it, tried it in reverse, checked the GPU's and reseated them etc.
    Also tried a bucketload of drivers, and I even ended up reinstalling windows, installing the drivers according to http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...er-install-order-guide-alienware-systems.html which resulted in, no change at all.

Some extra things I noticed:
    - In NVidia System Information it shows 2 x GTX 680m's. Which is fine.
    1 shows up having 4096 Mb of total available Graphics memory , and 2048Mb of GDDR 5 dedicated memory. This looked odd to me, where does the 4096 come from...
    The other one, even weirder, shows up having 4096Mb of GDDR5 dedicated memory (wut??), and even stranger, 20199Mb of Total available Graphics memory...
    - In GPU-Z, one card show up having 2048Mb of memory, the other card shows up as having 4096Mb of Memory. They are both shown as DELL cards, GK104M). Clocks for both cards show as 135Mhz for GPU, and 162Mhz memory, for both cards.

I have no clue what to try next or how to troubleshoot this further, I pretty much tried everything I could think of.
    Everything seems technically ok, but it's just not working at all (even 1 card obviously isn't working correctly).

For reference, to show I am not exaggerating, this is my Vantage score currently P7394:
    GPU 5975, CPU25708 (which seems quite fine for stock 3940xm I believe). GPU also reported to run 324Mhz Core and 1800 Memory.

Edit: problem fixed - had a bad GPU - see post #40

2. goussama

goussama Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    seems like you have a clevo card and a dell card

3. jiggymf

Reputations:
    Both show up as Dell, and it's shipped like this by Alienware, so I don't think that's the problem.

4. goussama

Reputations:
    Im not an expert this is just an assumption. I had a 680m clevo but it showed up as dell too. Eurocom configured it for the alienware. But dont take my word for it ive only dipped into laptop gaming and upgrading a year ago

5. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You should see this:

[​IMG]

If not, then check the device manager and make sure both cards are showing up. If the issue persists, it could be an issue with the SLI cable or the cards themselves. I'd call technical support and inform them of your situation. He may be right. I don't know why one would say 4GB VRAM and the other 2GB VRAM unless you have two different cards.

6. jiggymf

Reputations:
    Tried all suggestions.
    Both show up in Device Manager, without any errors.
    I see 'Set PhysX Configuration', instead of 'Set SLI and PhysX configuration'.
    I do see '2x GeForce GTX 680M' though. That's a start :p

I have tried getting in touch with Technical support, but I imported it from the US to Europe, so that's not to easy to achieve (not allowed to chat to technical support, I was able to chat with a Tech sales rep, but he couldn't help me as it was to technical).
    I'm also afraid if I get in touch with technical support, they tell me to send it back, and then i'm really going to be fooked, as it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg again to send it to the US, and I will have to go through all the hastle again with having it send to Europe through a US middle person and all costs involved (and on top risking of paying 500 euro's on import taxes again like I did now).

7. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If one gpu is indeed a clevo card, easiest way to check PCB Color - Dell are green, Clevo are blue.

8. jiggymf

Reputations:
    I didn't check that yet, just did. Both cards are green though.

9. goussama

Reputations:
    Then their both dell. You should just contact dell.

10. jiggymf

Reputations:
    Short update, when I remove the 2nd GPU from the system, the first GPU still shows the lousy performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.