New m.2 ssd cloning

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by pdogg93, May 30, 2017.

1. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why do people clone? Its much easier to put windows on a thumbdrive and reinstall. Just have a backup of all the games on a separate hdd.

2. Modiolo

Modiolo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello there
    Thanks @SJLPHI
    for your helpful reply

I was about to do all this...and I just in case sent a support request to dell.. to be sure about everything, and also because I have my premium support still available.
    So this very nice lady sent me that I should use macrium reflect and how to do it , very helpfull, I will post it here,
    but....:(she told me , before even knowing I had this particullar ssd...."-Keep on mind that Samsung EVO or Samsung PRO SSD's are not compatible with you Alienware 13 R3."

:vbconfused:
    WHAT?? :elvis:

why do I learn about this now?
    and why would it NOT work...
    Its so bad for me as I waited a lot to buy this and...chose it carefully....I did not find a warning ANYWHERE
    has anyone find one?
    Is it possible it does not work??
    Thanks for your help

3. Jæce

Jæce Newbie

Reputations:
    @Modiolo

Was wondering what happened to your newly installed NVMe SSD. Were you able to install it without any problems at all? I've been searching all over the internet for Alienware 13 R3 fellow owners who have 2 NVMe SSDs installed in their two slots. Need to clarify if they would work... I hear that the second SSD slot (not the main slot) only reads M.2 and not NVMe PCIe. Hope you could clarify it once and for all since it's really confusing to see different reviews and feedback online.

Many thanks! I'll await your feedback.

Jæce

4. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The original 13 r1 and r2 had ssd limitations in the m.2 slots. The r3 doesn’t. I am running 2 x 2tb toshiba xg5 nvme drives in my r3 without issue.

Jæce and c69k like this.
  5. Jæce

Jæce Newbie

Reputations:
    That's awesome @pathfindercod! Great news. I might have to find myself a 1TB/2TB NVMe PCIe SSD soon! I currently have my 512GB and it's real fast. I want to keep it that way so I will make sure I get the NVMe when I increase my storage.

6. Jæce

Jæce Newbie

Reputations:
    Just want to update this thread. I finally got myself a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe SSD and plugged it in my slot 1 and transferred my Toshiba 512GB. Works like a charm. I am happy to have my 1TB for my OS boot and running most of my games there while I use my 512GB for storage. I am planning to eventually upgrade the 512GB to a 1TB but I am not rushing as of now. Still find the 2TB SSDs too expensive. Hahaha

For those who are thinking of upgrading their SSDs these link will help you a lot: https://hetmanrecovery.com/recovery...the-bios-without-reinstalling-windows.htm#id2

For cloning what was previously on my Toshiba 512GB to my new Samsung 1TB, I used Samsung's Data Migration software which was very handy and easy to figure out.

Hope this helps all those who are thinking of upgrading their SSDs. Good luck and enjoy a way faster PC! :)