New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. jDally987

jDally987 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey question for anyone that uses Linux on their Gram.

I'm still using my 17Z990-R.AAS7U1 (2017 version), and having various problems with it in Linux one of which is USB-C (USB-PD over Thunderbolt) charging. It does work, but if I'm booted and plug in a USB-C charger to the thunderbolt port, it kernel panics and locks up the whole machine (but continues playing audio, for some reason...) and I have to hard reboot it to fix it. Once I boot *with the USB-C charger already connected*, everything works fine - although again, if I then UNplug it while booted..... kernel panic.

Of course, none of that happens in Windows - I can hotplug the usb-c charger all day no problem.

I'm wondering if anyone with a more recent Gram model gets that behavior in linux? I'm on Kubuntu but it still happens in NixOS and other distros. I was thinking since LG got rid of the barrel charger in the 2021 grams, opting for solely USB-C charging, and since other laptop brands that have relied on USB-C charging only for years now run linux just fine, that it's probably not a problem with the linux kernel itself, but rather my older Gram's hardware/BIOS settings or something. I'm mainly wondering if the problem indeed goes away in the 2021 gram bc I'm planning on upgrading to one eventually but want to wait until the used prices drop more.

2. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations: