New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My eGPU works practically any which way I connect or disconnect it. I will admit it's plugged in nearly all the time though.

2. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The problem has not gone away for me but it seems to be unpredictable. I now have all the Win10 updates and LG updates installed. Most days everything is fine running with power adapter in all times and battery refill limit set to 80%.

Then yesterday whilst using two external screens (HDMI & Thunderbolt port) with the laptop power adapter plugged in the battery level slowly depleted from 80% to 10% with a warning to recharge as it kept going down with charger in. The only fix seemed to be a reboot, remove the charger plug and re insert it, then the battery starts to recharge slowly back to 80%.

Today with same set up, no issues, battery remains in the 79-80% range all day.

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I wonder if for some reason it thinks it should be charging using thunderbolt/USB PD but it isn't and is completely ignoring the power adapter. Does the monitor hooked up to the thunderbolt port supply PD?

4. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not sure. I wrote to LG support and they replied within a day which was good although the answer wasn't very useful in fixing the issue as far as I can tell.

LG said "There's a possibility that an aberrant program may be utilizing too much CPU time, thus causing the CPU to require more power than usual thus draining the battery faster."

The above statement is likely true, as I am noticing the battery depletion only when running high intensive CPU applications, usually a Java based set of windows and graphs on the external screens and some Youtube or video graphics on the laptop or third screen. I notice the CPU running at 50% average or higher occasionally, not much lower than 50% tho until I exit the apps when the CPU drops below 5% again.

Therefore I can only assume with the LG support reply that the laptop is not designed to stay charged or even recharge if CPU processor runs at a high rate?

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That can't be true, I game for decent stretches of time on mine with an eGPU connected and it doesn't lose batter power. The eGPU does supply up to 85W of power delivery though, of which the Gram uses far less than that, it's only a 15W CPU. Does this same battery drain scenario while connected to the stock power adapter happen without the external monitor connected to the thunderbolt port with the same work happening? I suspect it's detecting that it should be getting PD from the monitor but there isn't enough PD to keep it charged. You could try getting a thunderbolt dock that supplies PD, there's quite a few that supply 60W of PD which is well more than enough for the Gram.