New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    BSOD on latest Win10 for my LG Gram 17 2019 ver, using latest Win10 x64 Home and Intel drivers ?

I have two LG17 work location:

1. At my office desk when I use two two external monitors (HDMI and USB C port) connected to LG17.
    2. On the road as a laptop.

I am now consistently getting a BSOD whenever I return from a road trip and try and boot up with the monitors plugged back in. Never any other time. Win10 takes 2 minutes to resolve itself and back to normal again. Rinse and repeat next road trip.

Any one else have this issue?

2. jDally987

jDally987 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok here's a question. Anyone know if either of the M.2 ports (used for the PCIe/SATA SSD's normally) might be able to support different types of PCIe expansion than *just* SSD's?

I'd really like to see if I could somehow mod an internal USB port into the case. I use a Logitech G602 mouse and pretty much always have the little micro-dongle receiver plugged in one of the side USB ports, but when I'm sitting all curled up on the couch, even that tiny dongle gets annoying brushing up against my leg; and sometimes when I set the laptop down for a sec, I prop it up on its side against a wall, and I have to put it on the flat side without the dongle sticking out. I'm afraid I'm gonna not notice it and accidentally break it off at some point. I barely use the other ports anyway so was thinking about even just resoldering one of them with some wires to the motherboard, and gluing the port itself to a vacant surface on the inside of the chassis.

But even better would be to keep all 3 existing ports, and somehow add another one to the motherboard. There are obviously no extra USB headers like you might get on a full-size ATX board, but I realized if I got rid of one of my SSD's (I moved the original SATA drive to the second M2 slot and put a Sabrent NVMe drive in the primary), maybe I could find some kind of M.2 USB expansion card, and perhaps do some black magic on the BIOS to recognize it as an arbitrary PCIE device rather than a SATA SSD. Now in reality, I doubt that's even possible; the 2x port is probably hardwired to a SATA controller, and even if that's the case and I had to use the 4x port which obviously does get routed as PCIe, I don't think there are any USB expansion cards that come in a M.2 form factor.

However I'd still want to know for pure curiosity's sake if something like an M.2 bluetooth card works or not in one of the slots, has anyone tried this? If I'm not too lazy I might just try ripping out my old Thinkpad's M.2-keyed bluetooth/wifi card and seeing if the Gram picks it up as anything other than an SSD. If so then at least it's possible from a software/firmware standpoint, which is kinda cool. But failing all of that, I may still look into just getting a tiny octopus-type USB 3-in-1 hub or whatever, hooking it up to take the place of one of the existing USB ports on the edge of the motherboard, and then if I'm lucky maybe I'll even be able to fit one of the hub's USB "tentacles" through the original port cutout on the case, while still successfully ending up with a couple more internal USB connections.

EDIT: well well, looks like I might've been wrong, M.2-interfaced USB hubs do exist, though this is pretty much the only one I could find so far:
    https://www.amazon.com/JMT-Extension-Expansion-Converter-Connector/dp/B082HQHLHZ

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  3. palatkik

Reputations:
    LG17 2019 using Win10 x64 Snip&Sketch app causing screen to blank on and off when using free-form snip or trying to annotate the screen capture using a pencil or ballpoint pen option? Using latest Win10 updates and latest Intel driver from Intel site.

Cannot find any fix on Microsoft help sites.

Anyone else notice this?

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Lol.. I have a Logitech unifying receiver for my M330 Silent mouse and an xbox wireless dongle (using it for XBox One Controller and Arctis 9X wireless headphones). That unifying receiver is TINY, I can't believe that's getting in your way. I have things in all the ports lol.. 3 USB and TB3.

If you are not averse to soldering you could solder some wires to the USB port and extend a small cable internally, though some of those USB receivers can cause some nasty interference, not sure if that would be worse with it interally.

5. palatkik

Reputations:
    Hows the LG17 case holding out for you guys? Mine unit is 17 months old now and showing the coating corroding around the edges - where I most likely might have my hands I suppose. Either black corrosion or white exposed edges in places. Doesn't rub out, only way is to get external keyboard to stop it I guess?
    IMG_3063.JPG IMG_3064.JPG

6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have a slightly discolored spot where my left hand/wrist sits, which I expect from body oils, it happens to nearly every laptop. This one seems to be a little more than normal.

Otherwise it pretty much looks like the day I bought it. Bought in early March 2019, just over 19 months then..)

[​IMG]

7. bammitzb

bammitzb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My LG17 looks a little bit like yours to the left of the left shift key - the outer gray/metal coating peels off at the sharp edge on top - probably because I often have my little finger there when typing. My LG17 is 1 year old now and I use it every day.

8. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys i am looking at LG Gram 17 as a browsing and multimedia laptop. How does 1080p and 4k files look on that 16:10 2k screen? Do movies look weird or just the same as a 1080p screen with bigger black bars?

9. alittlebluebug

alittlebluebug Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, planning to replace the SSD in this laptop. Does it look like there is room for a 1-2mm heatsink?

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Probably, not sure though. I have two SN750's without heat sinks and they don't seem to overheat. Unless you are constantly writing huge files I wouldn't worry too much.

alittlebluebug likes this.