New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. gweempose

gweempose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The hinge on my gram has become kind of loud. Is there any way to lubricate it, or otherwise make it quieter?

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Maybe take the back off and see if you can carefully put a small amount of lubricant in there. I think Silicone based ones are safe for plastics, pretty sure the magnesium alloy would be resistant to it as well. At your own risk and all, maybe do some research on Google.

gweempose likes this.
  3. wimpod

wimpod Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, I spoke too soon.... Maybe I put too much thermal compound on the cpu, but the temps of some of the cores briefly hit 100 degrees, while updating windows in the background (looking at taskman).

It was just one core for a split second, and maybe I shouldn't worry about these brief spikes, but it just makes me slightly uncomfortable to see 100 degrees on a cpu, even if it clocks down immediately after that.
    It seems to me that the default temp limits are set really high... not sure why.
    Is anybody else using cpu coretemp, or is hwmonitor a better way to check cpu temps? I am just used to coretemp which is why I use that.

I've checked the bios advanced settings, but the only thing I've managed to do is change the cpu core clock ratios from 35-35-38-39 to 25-25-30-35. Pretty big reduction, but at least the temps are more reasonable now, and considering the cooling solution LG used, it seems the default ratios are waaay too optimistic. Changing the maximum TDP didn't seem to do much (I only changed the nominal setting), so I set it back to the default PL1-15W / PL2-46W.

At first changing most of the bios settings did not actually change anything, but I set the "overclocking lock" and "cfg lock" settings to disabled, after which I the ratio and tdp settings were no longer ignored.
    Going to try and tinker with the thermal limits next, but not expecting any improvement there.

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can use Throttlestop to do all of these things. The 25-26W PL is only for short bursts, it will ramp back down to 15W PL in a short period of time. I would just leave the ratios where they are and let it turbo and throttle on it's own accord. Mine settles around 2.2-2.4Ghz all-core (i7-8565U) last I checked. 100C is not going to hurt it, it'll throttle pretty quickly, max operating temp of the i7-1065G7 is 100C.

5. wimpod

wimpod Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks hfm. I guess when I see boiling temperatures my mind tends to panic :)

I see in your sig that you have a Sonnet egpu connected.
    I've tried to connect a HP omen egpu to my gram (with RX-5700), but it keeps locking up after like 10 seconds of connecting the thing. Nothing gets detected by windows. The egpu works fine when connected to MacOS.

I found a bios setting for "discrete thunderbolt" that was disabled, but it does not seem to make any difference. Updated the drivers, but still the only thing that happens is a hard freeze. Don't want to change too much and risk breaking stuff.

Should this be just plug and play, or did you do something extra to make it work?

6. MonoSage

MonoSage Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm using HP Omen Accelerator too combined with GTX1060 6GB and HDD. It worked out of box but you have to install gpu drivers from their website for it to work correctly. I haven't made any BIOS changes and everything else (USB 3.0 hub, Gigabit Ethernet, USB type C and storage) worked PnP. I was unable to install Omen Accelerator app though; it can't detect my egpu.
    Oh, and one more thing - make sure you've approved this device under Thunderbolt Control Center.

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It works flawlessly, I use whatever the latest nvidia official driver is. I've never changed any TB settings in the BIOS, I just use whatever the default is. I will rarely get some type of lockup when I disconnect and connect it, but it's super rare. 99% of the time it just works and I can disconnect and reconnect it at will. I also use it for power delivery, I haven't used the official power adapter in some time.

8. Ball

Ball Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was there ever an update on this attempted mod?

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  9. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’m curious the watts consumption of the razer vs this one! Also can’t wait to see perf difference.

good stuff!

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think Razer uses the 25W TDP UP config of the chips with the Stealth, which if we can cool the Gram well enough to get it consuming 20 something watts long term and the power delivery is up to the task it would be similar performance and power consumption.

EDIT: I really wish LG would do this, but I don't think we're going to see them use the 25W CPU TDP configs anytime soon for the following reasons:
    • Using basically the same motherboard and heat management on the Gram 13/14/15/17 to reduce design cost and also parts cost since they can get much higher volume.
    • Ratcheting to 25W would require a SLIGHTLY heavier heat management solution, they are priding themselves at it being super light at all costs.
    • The heat generated by 66% more power consumption would make it less comfortable for laps and hands. I have to say mine does get slightly toasty at just 15W
    • The battery life would probably decrease with the CPU able to consume 66% more power if it needs it.
    • It might a tad bit louder unless they use a much larger fan that can still spin relatively slowly
    I do think they are making a lot of design compromises between weight, noise, heat and performance. It's really a very small percentage of us that care about this to a large extent, the 15W PL1 limit is probably fine for 95% of the people that are buying this. I really wish they would find a way to increase to 25W while keeping it with TB3 and an iGPU only, but I am not holding my breath at all or expecting it. It looks like doing massive heat management modifications and using throttlestop is our only course of action.

If you're willing to compromise on weight and 1600p sweet spot for resolution, you can get an XPS 17 without a dGPU and get a 35-45W CPU with that.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    undervolter0x0309 likes this.