New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can I have TWO external screens connected at same time of LG Gram 17 (2019) model? I only have been using one so far with the HDMI port? Which other port should I use and will it impact performance overall?

Sorry for the really basic question but I notice on a review at https://www.cnet.com/reviews/lg-gram-17-2020-review/ it says "it easy to connect to an external monitor or two".

... but the user manual that came with computer only mentions ONE ext screen.

I am wondering if the Thunderbolt port will work with a Displayport Monitor at same time as my HDMI monitor is running? Not for gaming just looking at graphs and stocks etc. I don't think I need an external GPU for this?

Appreciate feedback/experience guys as I have been just using one external monitor for years.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. Candyman12345

Candyman12345 Newbie

Reputations:
    @palatkik ...
    Your are correct.
    Use the TB3 Port with the proper USBC to DP Cable and you're all set.
    I personally use an Anker 8-in-1 Media hub which outputs two HDMI to HDMI plus powers the Gram.
    I could potentially expand out to 3 external monitors plus the Grams monitor with this setup.
    Model number of my Anker HUB is A8380 PowerExpand.

palatkik likes this.
  3. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great news and I like the idea of the Anker hub even more, think I will get one.

4. skipper63

skipper63 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The following comes from the manual of my Toshiba Thunderbolt dock: "Up to three displays are supported including the computer display. Under the above triple display output mode, display on the computer screen is not supported".
    I think the limitation comes primarily from the internal Intel GPU. I used to have 3 external monitors but when I needed more (also graphs and stocks) I had to add an eGPU. Now I have 4 monitors on the eGPU and 2 on the dock. The laptop stays out of sight close to eGPU. Now I can also play video games if I want
    When I was at 3 monitors (1920X1200), there was no lag graphically, but it was heating pretty much and sometimes, when I had too many graphs/windows open it was hitting its thermal limits.

5. Candyman12345

Candyman12345 Newbie

Reputations:
    @skipper63
    I'd like to hear more about your setup and maybe some pics if possible? Thanks!

6. awaisuk

awaisuk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the 2020 LG Gram 17 and there is a new Intel Graphics driver from Windows Updates. Should I install that? Or wait for the Intel graphics update from the LG Update software?

Currently I have 26.20.100.7212 installed.

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    These days Intel's drivers will just install, you can get it straight from them.

8. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I jus noticed a very light scratch on the panel and was wondering what's the best way to clean the screen.
    Here's the panel ref: LP170WQ1-SPA1 (price ranges: $135 - $300)

9. skipper63

skipper63 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the 15nch Gram with Thunderbolt, an Akitio Node Pro which is the only eGPU enclosure with 2 Thunderbolt ports so that I can daisy-chain my Toshiba Thunderbolt dock. I have installed an Asus Rog Strix RTX2080, which is totally silent when I am not playing any games, but still the fan from the enclosure makes some noise, so I moved everything away from the desk and used longer DisplayPort cables.
    4 Dell 24in U2415 on a monitor stand. 3 of them are connected to the RTX2080 with Displayport, the 4th with HDMI to the Thunderbolt Dock.
    A 32in 4K LG UL950 in portrait mode, displayport to the RTX2080 at the left side. I pivot this monitor in landscape and use only this when I decide to play games.
    And an old Samsung 24inch in portrait mode at the right side, connected to the thunderbolt dock with HDMI.
    The LG Gram sits at the lower shelf, on a laptop cooling pad. (You can catch a glimpse of it at the low right of the picture). In front of it, deep in the shelf is the eGPU. The shelf is open in the back, so there is enough ventilation. When I use the laptop for intensive tasks, my trading software or games, I have to switch on the laptop pad cooling fans, which render the whole setup as noisy as a desktop, but without it the LG Gram throttles more often. Still it is pretty far from my ears. By the way, this is a standing-up desk, so I can also use my treadmill while working. When I unplug the laptop from the eGPU, all the programs move to the laptop screen and I can continue to work, but I have to shut down and restart if I connect again to the eGPU.
    20200729_132657_01b.jpg
    20200729_140127b.jpg

10. Candyman12345

Candyman12345 Newbie

Reputations:
    @skipper63
    Very nice ergonomic setup. I can tell that you have thoroughly thought out your environment.
    I'm a Coder and my best guess is that your either also a Coder or some type of Financial Analyst.
    I've looked up your Enclosure and eGPU, but the Pandemic Pricing is really ridiculous.
    Looks like I'll have to wait a while to acquire the goods from your setup.