New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Candyman12345

Candyman12345 Newbie

Reputations:
    My bad. You are absolutely right. It is regarding the Gram and not the Ultra.
    I got blinded in all the excitement. Oh well :(

2. Candyman12345

Candyman12345 Newbie

Reputations:
    Forgot to mention one thing regarding cooling...
    Did you notice the the vented bottom on the Linus Tech Tips video?

Has anyone tried running bottomless to see how temps are affected?

If it's a decent enough drop, the dremel may be soon to follow, but it's not something I'd like to do unless it's confirmed to actually improve things.

3. wimpod

wimpod Newbie

Reputations:
    New LG gram 17 owner here, loving the lightness and the screen... however, this morning the CPU temp was up to 94 degrees C (coretemp monitoring).
    I was charging via USB-C at the time, but that shouldn't matter I would think.

Are these normal temps or should I be worried that I have a "bad" CPU? Except for the temps it is working fine... hope you fellow owners can shed some light...
    spec is i7 1065G7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD...

4. Candyman12345

Candyman12345 Newbie

Reputations:
    I was able to Undervolt with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility with setting as follow...

-.110 (that's negative offset) for CPU Core Voltage
    -.110 (that's negative offset) for Cache Voltage
    13 Watts Turbo Boost Power Max reduced from original 14.5 Watts
    3 Second Turbo Boost Power Time Window

Stress Test ran for 10 Hours on AC Power with Temps Averaging 85-87C.
    Not the greatest, but better than pegged at 90C+ the whole time.
    CPU Max Core Freq also averaged better staying at or above 3Ghz.

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Is this just idling? Check task manager and see if there was something consuming a lot of CPU. If not, that's a pretty poor TIM application (heat sink paste..). It's not terribly difficult to take it apart and re-paste, but still. It could understand if it was under heavy load, it WILL sit at 90+ under heavy load that's just the way it is. Let us know under what conditions this is happening.

6. Motoman17

Motoman17 Newbie

Reputations:
    Newer Intel WiFi drivers are causing me disconnection problems. I did a lot of pocking around and nothing worked. I did changes to my WiFi router, used different settings on the laptop and nothing worked. Finally my solution was to install the OEM LG driver which is very stable and never experienced a single problem. You might ask, so why bother updating drivers, well I've been always able to update with original Intel drivers to all my machines and this is the first time I have this issue. Mine WiFi adapter is the Intel AC 9560 160 and the OEM driver is from 01/2019, the newer Bluetooth and the video drivers from Intel work without issues.
    Any thoughts?

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am using the latest drivers without any issues, might be that I have a different router though. Make sure the firmware on your router is up to date as well (sounds like you probably did that).

8. wimpod

wimpod Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your help hfm. No it wasn't idling, but not exactly 100% cpu usage either. I was trying out a Geforce-Now streaming game, but maybe there was some windows indexing going on in the background. Temperatures seem very unstable, maybe that's normal for this type of cpu or because of bad TIM.
    I am used to a 6700HQ which only reaches 90+ when under load after like a minute or two. This cpu just shoots up. Not sure if I should open the laptop and try to apply paste or to request a replacement. Or would a replacement do the exact same thing?

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The hard truth is that this unit does not have an extremely capable heat management solution. The 2020 model looks to be a little better than the 2019 model, but it's still subpar IMO. Under a decent amount of load the heat management solution is going to get saturated rather quickly. If the TIM application is subpar, it can be slightly improved using a better quality product, but there's only so much you can do. Another aspect to this is that they use the same exact heatsink/pipe assembly in the entire Gram Line: 14,15 and 17. I understand why they do this. Same components just in increasingly smaller form factor, it can save them a significant amount of engineering dollars and manufacturing cost just designing one assembly to cool a 15W CPU in increasingly smaller units. It even looks like nearly the same main and port layout boards in all units. There seems to be a little difference between the 14/15 and 17 for the smaller board for ports on the right side of the unit, but the MAIN board looks identical between all three, just less empty space n there as the notebooks get smaller since the boards for the ports are separated and just connected by cables they can use them in all the units.

Here's shots of the 2020 line...
    Gram 14
    [​IMG]

Gram 15
    [​IMG]

Gram 17
    [​IMG]

Obviously there's room to improve the heat management in the 17, but I get why they would use the same parts across the line since it's essentially the same 15W CPU.

Back to the heatsink and managing heat in general outside of software based solutions like undervolting.
    If you look in the history of the thread you'll see where people have created their own assemblies with dual fans or larger heat sinks attached to the heat pipe, which requires some modification of the chassis to allow exhaust from the 2nd fan.

I myself have tried grizzly kryonaut, results were marginally better but there was still a little core temp disparity there where two cores on the same side of the die were always hotter. With the 2019 model's 3 screw mounting it's tough to get a good even contact point. I most recently installed coollaboratory liquid metalpad and that created more even core temps. But, under heavier loads all of the paste performed almost the same due to the heat sink and heat pipe assembly just getting saturated to where it just couldn't remove heat any faster no matter how good the thermal conductivity between the die and pipe was. From pictures it looks like the 2020 model uses a new 4 screw method to mount it, which is way better as it's more even pressure, and the heat sink part of the assembly was made a little larger and is angled slightly to try to provide more surface area. Not sure exactly how much better it is, but just looking at it I would imagine it has the capability to remove slightly more heat.

One think that can help tremendously is using thermal pads to bridge the heat pipe to the chassis so that the magnesium alloy of the bottom chassis can sink away some of the heat, but then you run into a comfort problem if you are just using it on your lap where the bottom of the unit will get hot.

I'm hoping they yet again improve the heat sink assembly for the Gram 17 (and I guess the entire line in general) in 2021. I'm not holding out much hope though. If they continue to use the same exact heatsink/heatpipe/fan assembly across the entire line they will never put something larger in the Gram 17 that can utilize the empty space.

whocarez_pt likes this.
  10. Motoman17

Motoman17 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply. I actually tried two different routers and yes I keep the firmware up to date. I might try again with the newest Intel drivers since I stop using them a few months ago and I will see if there is any improvement. The OEM driver is also an Intel of course so I don't really know what so special about that driver and the newest, but if it works for you it could be the "air" in my parts of woods:eek:.

hfm likes this.