New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's a bummer. Maybe try to sell it and grab one with TB3? :)

2. mjclifford

mjclifford Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the LG 17 from 2019, the one sold by Costco. Here's an unusual request. Currently there's enough storage (512GB), but I can see down the road (2 years) when I'd like to populate the second SSD slot.

Many of you have describe problems filling in the second slot and some have pointed to a bug in the BIOS. Here's the request: What SSD do I look for in 2022 or so for this second slot? Do I try to match the existing and original one (and thus go searching for an antique)? Also, how to I update the BIOS to this rig, since LG's update software seems rather anemic?

Thanks in advance.

mjclifford

3. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've run two Toshiba NVME 512GB (KXG50ZNV512G) drives since I got it last year no problems.

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Oddly enough try searching for new drivers on the Firmware object in device manager. Worked for me, someone else earlier in the thread discovered that new firmware can be found using this. I was surprised actually, I'm so used to finding new firmware on the manufacturers site.

upload_2020-6-17_22-4-25.png

I wouldn't worry too much about incompatibility, but since the 2nd slot is only a PCIe 2x slot, you can get a somewhat cheaper drive, like the WD SN550 and save a little cash. If it doesn't work return it for a different one is all I could suggest.

5. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought the LG17 2019 in May last year and at same time bought a 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe 3x4 M.2 second drive that worked without any issues at all. I read the system SSD that the LG ships with is a slower than the extra drive I got, but I wasn't that bothered and cannot see much difference for my needs. I am just happy to have the extra drive space.

hfm likes this.
  6. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have an i5-8265U model (imported from Korea), but do have TB3 and use it daily with a Razer Core, so it is not limited to i7. Is there even a Gram17 with 8250?

7. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    EDIT: I think I'm wrong, see the following posts.

Not only that, TB3 controller usually doesn't appear if you aren't actually plugging a TB3 device into it. Sometimes, this even fools the TB3 drivers on my computers (2 laptops so far and 1 desktop).

It's, IMO, a horrible design flaw, but Intel is still the only source for TB3 chips, so we all have to live with it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I just pulled my eGPU and reboot just to make sure and I still see the TB3 controller in AIDA64 under:
    Devices > Windows Devices > System devices > Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 15D9

Edit: I am assuming the driver has to be installed for this to show up...

upload_2020-6-22_22-10-0.png

jeremyshaw likes this.
  9. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A somewhat similar problem I'm facing is that the mini-sd card reader most of the time just doesn't show up in my device manager. It occasionally does work, but most of the time, nothing can be found and if I insert a mini-sd card, nothing happens. Has anyone else experienced that? Other than that the machine performs awesome and the latest ThrottleStop update has fixed my wake-from-sleep bluescreens.

10. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I'm looking at my TB3 controller right now in Device Manager, though there have been times where it didn't show up in the past.

I never followed up in this thread, but someone else couldn't find it, either.
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...device-manager-for-X1-Carbon-6th/td-p/4314736
    As it turns out, it may have been a Thinkpad UEFI setting.