New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Agreed, I got mine in April, still very happy.

2. ekirst

ekirst Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not exactly. Has to be a charger rated for pd charging. None of my phone chargers worked. But I bought one on Amazon and it will charge my LG gram 17 and my phone too. Problem solved.

3. Agi

Agi Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the useful infos here, I'm a new owner of the LG gram 2019 i7 (previously a macbook pro user) and so far so good I like this laptop!

As a developer I was a bit afraid of leaving the macOs/unix ecosystem but there is Windows-Sub-Linux (wls), where I installed an unbuntu shell that 100% fit my needs!

I have a few newbie questions:

1) Do you guys advise to have throttleStop with undervolting running all the time or only for gaming? do you see by example lower cpu temperature on browsing / light productivity? been using it for 2h and I'm not sure of seeing any difference.

2) when doing light productivity without charging, the fan don't turn on. but if i'm charging the laptop (with default charger), the fan will always be turned on, Is it normal? It's medium fan speed so it's still pretty quiet, but wondering if there is something I can do to have the fan turned off when charging.

3) when I boot the laptop, for 1/2 seconds the fan will turn on maximum, then for the first 2 minutes, the fan will be turned on medium speed, then eventually it will be turned off. is it normal? (On macbook I didn't have this small issue, I don't know if it's normal :) )

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  4. vujazzman

vujazzman Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone know if the hdmi output on the gram 17 supports 1440p? I have a Dell U2711 which supports 1440p over hdmi, and I am trying to decide if my cable is the problem. I am on linux and xrandr is only reporting 1920x1080 as the max resolution.

5. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It supports 4K over hdmi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BENN0

BENN0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Someone in this or the 2020 thread mentioned LG did a hardware refresh of the 2018/2019 model and upgraded the SSD from SATA to NVMe.
    I just bought an old model (factory refurbished) and it has indeed a 512GB NVMe drive, a Samsung PM981. Not sure how you can spot this before buying the laptop though.

hfm likes this.