New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Strange. The only thing I can think of is that the thunderbolt->display port cable is making the laptop think it should be getting PD over the cable, but it's not. I can't test any of these theories as my only thunderbolt device is an eGPU that supplies 87W of power delivery.

One thing to try would be updating the BIOS. You can see if you are running the latest one by right-clicking `LGE System Firmware` under the Firmware category in device manager and doing an update. Maybe there's a fix for that in the latest BIOS.

EDIT: you also might want to try a different cable, I see a decent number of reviews for that cable saying it's faulty. That might not mean much but 11% seems high.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  2. AdamP3

AdamP3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone purchased an external battery pack for the gram 17? I read a few reviews of people having problems with the USB-C charging, so am looking for the make/model of a USB-C external battery which works to charge the laptop.

3. Motoman17

Motoman17 Newbie

Reputations:
    USB-C charging. In order to operate properly you have to go to LG Control Panel and enable it. I just found that a couple of days ago. Now I have no prob charging when laptop is off, including using a battery pack. I have a Lenovo external battery, but I see no reason to use any that could provide a decent output.

4. salva84

salva84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's strange cause the cable has very good reviews in Amazon, so is strange it's only me who is having these problems... I've already updated BIOS and the problem remains...

5. Zor Prime

Zor Prime Newbie

Reputations:
    My youngest is going off to college next year so for Christmas he's getting a LG Gram 17 (Z990). I didn't even turn it on til I installed a 1TB Mushkin Pilot-E nvme drive and swapped the stock Samsung SSD to secondary.

Formatted the stock drive, installed Win10 Pro fresh. Wrote down the original Home numbers first tho before I did that, in case. Setup Thermalstop thanks to you all, not sure how low it can go but so far -90mv for CPU stuff and -50mv for other things seems to be quite stable. Don't need crashing when he's out. Got it setup to auto-load on startup.

But this is my kid and he's gonna wanna game, so I bought a Razer Core X and stuck a GeForce 1070 in there. It powers the Gram just fine, even while gaming. No need for stock power brick.

So he can take it on the go during college and have it not die on him, and when he returns to where he's staying he can hook it into the Razer eGPU and charge it up at the same time that way. An extreme at both ends, win/win!

Thing is FAST. It does throttle, yes. Throttlestop almost completes its built-in bench until it starts trying to throttle around 85% completion.

It appears to play, mind you with the 1070, all the Darksiders games at native resolution with all settings on ultra very smoothly. I'm going to install and try Witcher 3 before he gets it, since I know much about that game with the PS4 version and my Ryzen 1700 setup, and see if it stutters like crap or is very enjoyable with not all the settings on low.

Anyway I've never personally owned a laptop in my entire life, always been desktops. The Gram 17 is probably the first laptop I've ever messed around with that made me actually want one for myself. I love it, so far!

hfm likes this.
  6. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I also want to drive an external (4k 60Hz) display and charge at the same time. I don't know what's causing the issue you are facing, but I found a solution that works for me. I got a usb-c to mini dp/usb A/pd adapter from equip (model 133463 https://www.equip-info.net/USB-C/133463/p-1157.htm). It allows to connect an usb-c charger to the pd port, supports 4k 60Hz over displayport and even let's me plug in an usb hub on the usb-a port. Therefore I can now plug in just the one usb-c cable and have everything hooked up + get full charging. The adapter had some bad reviews and doesn't seem to work on some laptops, but I had zero issues with a lg gram and an lg 4k monitor.

hfm likes this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I expect you'll probably get pretty good results with the 1070 with some mediumish-to-high settings. I love my setup as well, I'll probably never buy another laptop unless it's 17" 16:10 ~3lb. If they stop creating and updating these year-over-year and no one copies them I'm going to be sad.

8. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah here's also hoping for more generations of gram17's. Other laptops seem to be made of concrete and have screen that are tiny :)

hfm likes this.
  9. Zor Prime

Zor Prime Newbie

Reputations:
    Someone said the Gram doesn't get warm, it definitely gets warm. The case, etc. Mind you, it's not molten metal hot.

Anyway, granted this is with a 1070, I'm very impressed. Shadow of Mordor has a built in bench, at 5K resolution it gets low 20 FPS (average) with everything on ultra. Granted nobody I think needs 5K and to have it down-sampled, I was entertained. At 2K or as close as I can get the wonky resolutions it allows me to choose (don't remember it being strange) with everything on ultra I get 52FPS average. Drop a couple settings to High and it's around 58 (average), like lowering detail of things far off in the distance that you're not going to notice anyway.

Witcher 3 unfortunately I don't know how to bench. It's a beautiful game with stunning visuals. At native resolution with Hairworks disabled with everything on ultra I can assure you it has more FPS than the PS4 version. I cannot tell a discernible difference from my Ryzen 1700 box I have mounted on the wall of my office with the same video card, and it's fluid on that. With an external monitor at 1080p there'd be virtually no issues whatsoever I can imagine.

I really like this combination. On the go with enough oomph to get whatever done with good battery life, bring it home and turn it into a makeshift gaming rig with an eGPU. Brilliant stuff! Unfortunately, yes, it does cost more. But, awesome usually does. So, there's that. And I really love the screen ... it's a great screen. Not plasma or OLED, but it'll work.

hfm likes this.
  10. Ball

Ball Newbie

Reputations:
    What make/model?

The glossy screen is the only reason I didn't like the LG Gram 17 when I checked one out at CostCo. Honestly I'd spend $100 to solve this issue. Maybe there is a company I can send it to in order to get a proper AR coating?