New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Was looking to buy this..but i heard the screen is very reflective.

How reflective is the screen (pics would help a lot)? Main concern is summer sun lighting the drapes and reflecting into it..

Anyone know when this will be available in Europe?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  2. bammitzb

bammitzb Newbie

Reputations:
    Bought both an LG gram 17 and 15 inch from amazon.com. Fantastic lightweight machines! For the LG Gram 17 I bought also a Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 2TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD + Samsung 32GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM Memory Module for Laptop Computers (260 Pin SODIMM, 1.2V). The LG Gram 17 will be my main laptop for work (coding) and I will install linux on it. The LG Gram 15 came with 16 GB RAM and 2 512 GB SSD's - that one is meant for when I travel (business) and will also get linux at some point, but the plan is not to upgrade that one. I will keep the win10 on the one SSD and linux on the other.

I had read and seen many places that opening the back of the laptop should not be that hard so I set out on that task yesterday... It was easy enough to take off the pads and all the screws except one were also easy to get out. One screw though I found impossible to unscrew - anyone else had that problem? The screws are really tiny so I was also afraid to damage the head of the screw, but it seems rather stuck.

3. bammitzb

bammitzb Newbie

Reputations:
  4. Random42352

Reputations:
    Does it see 32 GB ram + 8 GB soldered ram??

It was my understanding that it takes at most 16 GB ram in a slot + the 8GB soldered ram..

5. bammitzb

bammitzb Newbie

Reputations:
  6. Random42352

Reputations:
    Get the iFixit essential kit..for the future.

How reflective is the screen? Can it handle natural light (natural light with the drapes on)..?

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I use mine with a west facing window behind me. It's kind of a pain when the sun is shining straight through the windows, but otherwise it's fine.

8. bammitzb

bammitzb Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm going to get myself some better tools.

I'm not bothered by the reflective screen so far - it just looks great. But then again, I have not used it so much. The reflection is worst if you have something black on the screen which I will have in consoles when I change to linux. Right now the win10 on it is mostly white and colors.

9. bammitzb

bammitzb Newbie

Reputations:
    Used a better screwdriver and got my LG Gram 17 upgraded with 32 GB RAM + 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Internal SSD. Moved the original SSD to the other slot and since the new SSD is empty it still boots to win10 on the original SSD, neat.

So just to answer the question earlier: "Does it see 32 GB ram + 8 GB soldered ram?? ": Yes, it sees all 40GB of RAM now.

Now I just need to install linux on it - then it's close to the perfect dream laptop for me!

Random42352 likes this.
  10. Random42352

Reputations:
    Just wanted to ask..does it boot to the 2TB drive once you install windows on it? Are the 2 drives different or identical?

Thanks