New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. It's linked in this thread recently by someone else I don't recall. 17 ultra something I think. Take a look backwards.

2. More than the existing one since it requires a sheet of glass, the capacitive electrode layer and a protective cover. It's would be somewhat significant on the LG Gram 17, they'd definitely need to redesign the hinge at least as I don't see it being strong enough to stop it from wobbling wildly.

3. No idea I have no interest in it, some others in here have done it.

2. dordale

dordale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I won't buy a laptop without a dedicated numeric keypad on it. But, it's the one weak point on the Gram. The keys are not in the traditional places--which makes it frustrating to use. I don't know why they repositioned the keys. The positioning of the keys on the numeric keypad is really the only thing that keeps the 17 inch Gram from being the perfect laptop for me.

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If it's your daily driver you might end up getting muscle memory for it eventually. But if you're like me and use two keyboards a lot it's hard to get that groove going.

4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Excuse my newb question, but what specifically about the keys are not traditional? Is the numpad too much to the left? Too much to the right? Too small of a numpad? Are the other keys too much too the left?

I have not tried one yet, I'm still hoping there will be a demo one at a computer store near me.

5. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the numpad keys are smaller than the regular keys and the operators (+/-/*//) are all on top while there would be a lot of space left to the right. Just check some images. The reason for this is that this is the same keyboard LG uses on the gram 15.

6. Nano32

Nano32 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone..
    first of all thank you so much for this thread, it is the only place over the internet where i could find usefull information about my new LG gram 17. (I recieve it today)
    As you can notice, english its not my native language. so please bear with me :)

Im a mix of Graphic Designer/Comunity Manager/Producer so generaly i move arround all the time with the laptop on my backpack running mostly Photoshop/Illustrator/Premiere/Excel/and a LOT of tabbing on google chrome. (Painfully a lot)

The gram fits perfect for me Light, big screen, numpad and (kinda) Powerfull.
    Last year when i started shopping for something like this in the market it doesnt exist.
    Last January whe i heard bout LG17 i was so pumped about it!
    But could not accept the fact it was almost 1700dls. Definitely far away from my budget and still.. if i had that much you can get much much powerfull laptop/ultrabooks for that kind of money. so i passed on it.... still i was obssesed with that 17" screen.

Months go by and i found an Open box Cotsco (256gb) unit..
    Ended up paying just 1050dls for it. so.. happy new owner right now! :D

Im an amateur on technical details so tbh i understand half of the things of you guys talk in this thread :/
    but im eager to learn..

Got a couple of questions:

1) i already bought a Samsung 970 evo 500gb - NVMe PCle m.2 2280
    i planning to install that one on the 4x slot and move the original sata ssd to the 2x slot
    I will run the OS and programs on the sata (2x slot) and all my files on the NVMe ssd.

1.1) Do you think im going to have any problem runing this configuration of different SSDs (size, brand, speeds)

1.2) its this configuration the right one for my kind of usage? i want to optimize mostly for when i use Adobe Premiere. i want to be the more agile with the edits (i usually create short content for web aplications so 1080p max)
    I read about the thermal issues and not having a dGPU. so i want to maximize this particulary scenario.

2) Wich others modifications or updates can i do for improve the performance/thermlas. What Bios Version i should update? Should i tired undervoltage?

3) Do you guys think i could beneffit for more Ram? 24? 40? I thought about it, but i think its an overkill for the kind of work with it.

Thats it! Thanks for your advice

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  7. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1) I'd recommend installing the OS to the fastest drive. That will give you faster booting and better overall system response. I also use two ssds, but both are NVMe. The large/cheap/slow one is in my x2 slot and used as a data dump. Everything I access a lot is on my primary samsung drive.
    1.1) No, the problem that has been reported probably was one faulty unit. I mixed brands and sizes and haven't seen issues. Maybe some exotic brands are not compatible with the gram. but it that case you could likely return a SSD.
    1.2) Should be fine, maybe you'll run out of space at some point with video?
    2) most importantly, make sure air can enter/leave the machine. The vents are at the hinge. Maybe use a laptop stand or some kind of risers. You really should try undervolting as it helps a lot for this machine with its limited thermal headroom. The recently discovered extended BIOS options using the secret keystroke I currently forgot (look a few pages back), maybe allows to tweak the fan curve, so the fan kicks in a bit earlier - I can't check it as my machine has modded fan control now. I use the latest BIOS and curiously got it through Windows Device Manager and it's "update driver" functionality.
    3) 16GB should be enough, but I don't really know how much memory Adobe Premier uses. I recommend running you typical usage scenario and then looking at how much RAM gets used for real. For best performance I like apps to not use more than half of the total amount, so there is room for the OS and other running processes.

Bertk likes this.
  8. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I cannot wait to try out this device. 16:10 and a giant screen. I'm going to move the start bar to the right of the screen to get even more vertical real estate. Think of all that physical and # pixels vertical space. For coding (can see more lines of code). For website browsing. For typing word docs. Big and easy on the eyes so you can make the text smaller # font to fit more stuff. Easy on the back and legs when carrying it. Pretty much the perfect excel spreadsheet creating machine.

I honestly think that it might be the best option for students who are non-stylus notetaking, who aren't invested in the apple ecosystem, and don't game. Alot of people don't know this device exists and then they go with a heavier and smaller dual core macbook or dual core windows machine that doesn't have a GPU anyway.

Though I guess at least half of the college students game, and then you take the other things like notetaking/apple preference into account and there's not as much of the market left. Maybe if external GPUs were cheap and more known about.

Out of the box, did the device feel fast to you?

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It feels quite snappy in general use. The biggest things you can do are undervolt slightly to get maybe a little better boost and replace the SATA drives. You might not even notice these things depending on your usage pattern though.

10. NS HL

NS HL Newbie

Reputations:
    A trick on PROCHOT
    The PROCHOT limit 90C is too conservative. In advanced BIOS mode(Ctrl+Alt+F7),Advanced\Intel Advanced Menu\CPU Thermal Configuration,the TCC Activation Offset default 10, can't be modified. Tried in vain Active Thermal Trip Point(90C..\DPTF Configuration), CFG Lock, Config TDP...
    My trick is to modify the TCC Offset Time Window(..\CPU Thermal Configuration) which max 448s. When burst load, the CPU cores temperature can go beyond 90C(limit 100C) for a while.
    But after windows startup,ThrottleStop flashes AVG Thermal limit,the bigger the Time Window,the longer the flashing.After this setting time,OK. I set the Time Window=56s.
    Sorry, english writing is painful for me.

alaskajoel likes this.