New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alright boys.

Wishlist time for the next LG gram 17 if they ever make one:

- Centered keyboard (I've got a wireless number pad. And at less than 3 pounds, this is really a "put on your lap" kind of device, which a centered keyboard would work well with)
    - honestly they have room for a centered main keyboard and a smaller narrow/thin numberpad on the right but sadly I think some people would feel this is too ugly/asymmetrical and prefer the current look
    - bigger trackpad, there's tons of room for it
    - speakers not facing down into the table
    - probably can't wish for a discrete GPU, wouldn't that just increase the weigh alot? Or are discrete GPU's not that heavy?
    - touchscreen
    - faster SSD
    - anti-reflective coating

Come on LG. Gotta get enough LG gram 17 sales to make updating the device worth the cost.

Can the average joe not see how awesome the idea of a portable 17 incher is? Oh right, gaming and Apple, I forgot. Maybe I'm out of touch, but do most people prefer either a dual core macbook or a budget gaming laptop as opposed to a portable giant screen?

Tshizzle likes this.
  2. kneehowguys

Reputations:
    Mikhail Tal, is the LG gram 17 good for chess though?

3. Motoman17

Motoman17 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've chosen the LG 17 because of its lightness and simplicity and of course its wonderful screen and qualities. If you want a more complicated laptop why don't you get another one?
    I would never understand ppl getting one thing and start wishing for something else, in a market where there is always something else. It's the choices you make and not the product you buy.

palatkik and hfm like this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Centered keyboard would be great, I don't see the limited use I get from the numpad being worth not having a centered keyboard.

Bigger trackpad OK, but it would need to have a different click mechanism. I think the one on it is fine though I don't care much really, I use a mouse most of the time.

BIG YES on the speakers. Plenty of room for top firing, even though I use headphones 99.999% of the time, for that .001% that I use the speakers for some reason it would be nice.

Adding in a GPU would increase the weight due to needing a lot of extra cooling hardware and a different chassis design. I'm fine with an eGPU. There is a 4lb LG 17" coming with a dGPU. I think if they added one of the 10th Gen U-series CPUs with the top tier GPU in it that would be enough. The 620 can play some lighter-weight games better than I expected it to on this. With that new CPU it would be acceptable for an iGPU. I think we should keep the dGPU out of the Gram line and leave it to the other line they are coming out with that is heavier.

Big NO from me on the touch screen. I had one on the Blade 14, never used it and it makes the laptop heavier.

The faster SSD is something they really should do at the price point, but it's a cheap-easy upgrade so that's just an annoyance more than anything else, but for the record I'm still using two SATA SSDs and they seem fine for my needs.

I kind of like the glossy display, it provides better clarity, but it would be nice if they added an option for matte for everyone that wants to use it outdoors. There are sheets you can apply to the display to add that coating yourself. I think I like that avenue better as if it is already matte and you would rather have the increased clarity of glossy you're out of luck.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    kneehowguys likes this.
  5. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One of the reasons I love the LG17 is the built in number pad, I wouldn't want it any other way on a 17inch notebook. I do a lot of number crunching.

hfm likes this.
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I totally don't mind it. Honestly the only thing I REALLY want fixed is the poor heat management. If they just slightly improved that so the CPU could maintain better performance it would be SO much better.

huntnyc likes this.
  7. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In S. Korea, Playwares reviewed the LG 17UD790-GX56K with i5-8265U that scored ~560 in Cinebench 15 multicore.

Looks like another case of insufficient cooling for multicore marathons, so the i7 can only sprint for short periods before throttling, while the i5 lasts longer.

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Probably not insufficient cooling, it's operating at the typical 15W configuration.

9. kneehowguys

Reputations:

Thanks!!!

1) "There is a 4lb LG 17" coming with a dGPU."
    What is it called?

2) Out of curiosity, how much weight does a touchscreen add? Maybe I'm out of touch, but it seems like there are alot of ipads including 12 inche ones (that have touchscreens obviously) and I don't have a sense of how much of its weight is due to the touchscreen.

3) What product would you use if you were going to add a matte/anti-reflective cover? The thing is, I guess you would have to cut it precisely to be 16:10

10. kneehowguys

Reputations:
    I sort of wish they'd have
    - centered keyboard, centered touchpad
    - numpad to the right of that keyboard (so the numpad would almost be running off of the right side of the laptop)

My idea would look ugly as sin but it would:
    - Make lap usage great
    - Still have the numpad benefits

At 17 inches, there's tons of room.