New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. msintle

msintle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh the battery doesn't help at all, I'm afraid. Whatever setting its on has utterly no effect.

Are you using the OEM installation image, or did you install your own Windows 10?

I've also heard bad things about the latest 1809 build. Maybe would be worthwhile to try the 1803 build.

Disabling connected standby also doesn't work on this laptop. I can change the registry key, but it seems to have no effect.

That used to help with the Surface Pro devices in some cases. Not in others...

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm just using the OEM install.

3. msintle

Reputations:
    Same here.

4. MacLeodMX

MacLeodMX Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm interested in using an eGPU (sonnet breakaway puck) with this laptop but I haven't seen any info on the PCIE lanes allocated to the thunderbolt port. Does anyone know if it's 4 lanes or 2?

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    4 lanes

6. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm considering buying this model, but msintle's observations about nvme slots/battery/cpu throttling are worrisome. I once experienced a problem with a different laptop where one of two nvme slots wasn't working properly due to firmware/uefi issues and using that slot made the entire system act unpredictable and unstable. Have you tried running your one SSD in the other slot?

7. msintle

Reputations:
    I didn't try that, because the other slot is a 2X and not a 4X.

Sounds like it is overall the same or similar issue as to the one you were having.

I think it works fine in the LG Gram 17 if both SSDs are the same brand and model.

The issue probably arises when there's two different types of SSDs and the UEFI/BIOS fails to auto-negotiate speed rates/modes.

That's just my hunch based on manufacturer descriptions and experience.

What is disappointing is that support is horrid and there's no escalation path to fix these issues.

A product sold in the US market needs better representation.

A product as promising as the LG Gram 17 deserves much better representation.

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    All the SSD's I have laying around are 512GB SATA m.2's (I have like 5 or 6 of them lol), I don't have any NVMe's or I'd try it out. Sorry.

9. msintle

Reputations:
    I should probably clarify that when using two identical SSDs in the slot (ex: two Samsung 1 TB PRO SSDs released immediately prior to the 960 PRO generation), it always worked for me - even if one of those SSDs was later rejected when used in combination with another SSD in the slot (ex: one Samsung 1 TB 960 PRO SSD). So definitely looks like a very annoying UEFI BIOS bug to me...costing me 1 TB of disk space for no reason other than someone's sloppy work right now!

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I took a look at the BIOS over the weekend to see what kind of options were present, it's not very extensive at all.

Perhaps if you report your findings to support they can consider a BIOS update for compatibility.

I also installed Throttlestop to see if I could change the turbo power configuration as well as do some undervolting to see if I could get a higher Cinebench score. It's thermal throttling pretty heavily. I'm going to order some kryonaut so I can reapply TIM. I'll probably install a 2nd SATA SSD while I'm in there since I have a spare one. Unfortunately one of them went belly up over the weekend in a different notebook but I have quite a few lying around. I honestly don't see the difference much between SATA vs NVMe in normal usage, I don't usually copy extremely large amounts of data around quickly.

OH, I also did hook up one of my SSD's to a USB cable and copied some data back and forth as well as did an entire disk health scan for bad sectors on two different m.2 SSD's .. I did this while using the included LG adapter. I didn't see any battery drain issues. I did not however have a USB ethernet adapter hooked up draining power. So might not be a valid test.

@msintle did you ever end up picking up a thunderbolt dock that has power delivery?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019