New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good to know - thanks!

2. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In S.Korea, the ilovepc LG UltraGear 17U790 review mentions that the 17 inch 16:10, 2560×1600 screen that debuted with the LG Gram 17 might come not only to the LG UltraGear 17 but also to LG's third brand, as the LG UltraPC 17. [view in Google Chrome for machine translation as you scroll after page is loaded.]

[I'm guessing maybe the UltraPC version might offer a small discrete GPU, such as MX250 or MX150, as the LG UltraPC 15U590 is offered with an MX150. So it could be slower but quieter in games if it uses the same heat pipe and fans as the UltraGear. But the UltraPC 15U590 has the small arrow keys in the righthand control key space, like the Gram.]

[edit:] ilovepc also has an LG UltraPC 17UD790 preview, a model with only integrated graphics like the LG Gram 17, but no Thunderbolt3, and the keyboard has full size arrow keys like the LG UltraGear 17. It says the weight of this configuration is lighter than the specification, and the interior shows space for a discrete GPU and a second fan, so there may be other configurations. (The UltraPC 17 is not yet listed on the LGEKOR site UltraPC section, but it does list UltraPC 15 configurations both with and without a discrete NVidia MX150 GPU.)[/edit:]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    hfm and nalim like this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Two things in one post..

First.. the bad (but good) news..

I had a bit of a scare today, was carrying some water in a lidded non-spill cup, didn't realize the release was flipped to open. Ended up spilling a junk load (I am not exaggerating.. it was a lot) of water on the keyboard as I was leaning over to put something down. Laptop was on at the time with my eGPU hooked up. immediately shut it down and unplugged everything and started cleaning the water off the keyboard. Set up an area to take it apart and there was water all up by the power/tb3 port row and a decent pool of it on the primary nvme slot connector and other pools of water in random places.

Dried everything up and it still works flawlessly. I thought for sure when I saw all the water on the power input and TB3 port side it was a goner. So, no, the MIL spec marketing speak definitely won't save you from water spillage, but hey it did survive a pretty catastrophic water event nonetheless.

So for the second part...

I had been wanting to take it apart anyway to apply some new TIM, so while I was in there I cleaned up all the kryonaut I had applied. It looked kind of dried out and out-flowed so I was guessing that might have been why my core temps were not consistent (2 hotter cores).

I used Coollaboratory Metal Pad for notebooks this time. It comes with a metalpad sheet and two thicknesses of copper shim material.
    I used the 0.1mm shim. How it works is you cut two pieces of metalpad and one shim to the size of the die. You sandwich the shim between two metalpads on top of the die. For i7 U series (and probably any iGPU toting cpu) you need one set for the CPU and one for the GPU die. Then when those stacks are lined up perfectly on the die you carefully place the heatsink back on top being sure not to move it laterally at all. It needs a little curing time as I am guessing the metalpad sheets will melt under temp.

My core temps are super consistent now, and it's running a bit cooler than it was before. I didn't take some before measurements like I wanted to due to the water cleanup emergency but running Cinebench a few times I am holding better clocks through the whole test and gained a little performance. It's also not power throttling as low as it was, it's maintaining around 2-3W more power level than it was before which is nice.

Definitely nowhere near as good as it could be with a better heatsink, but I'm overall happy with the result. I'll keep watching it over the coming days to see if it gets a little better as it cures, but I'm not really hoping for much with this meager heatsink.

Maru likes this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The parts I don't like is it looks like it's 1.3lbs heavier, I'm really liking how light the current Gram 17 is, and it LOOKS like they ditched the TB3 port to provide probably 8x PCIe lanes for the 1650. I'd rather have my 2070 eGPU. :)

It's going to be a great unit for those that want it.

What I REALLY want to see them do is put that better CPU heatsink and fan into the next Gram 17 that has an iGPU and TB3 port. It would be PERFECT.

nalim likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I always used the ShaggyMax (used to be ShaggyMac) screen protectors in the past but never had one for the Gram 17. First time I looked I didn't see one for the Gram or a 17" 16:10, but it looks like they have one now. Ordered it I'll let you guys know how it fits. I was a little suspect that the specs say it's 16:9, so we shall see. Probably just an honest mistake.

I've noticed some potential damage where I can see what looks like the key edges hitting the panel if I look at it in the correct light while powered off (I notice nothing in regular use) so it triggered me to check again.

https://www.shaggymax.com/collectio...r/products/lg-gram-17-laptop-screen-protector

EDIT: Fits perfectly

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 6:47 PM
  6. alter_ohm

alter_ohm Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks to the positive notebookcheck.net review and this forum i'm now also a happy lg gram 17 owner coming from a macbook pro 17" from 2011. i ordered it from amazon.es and they shipped it to austria.
    as described in this forum i added 1x samsung 32gb ddr4 2666mhz sodimm. i switched the original sata ssd to the slower nvme slot (2x) and added a 2tb adata sx8200 pro nvme ssd to the faster nvme slot (4x).

thank you! it worked for me. i could install "linuxmint-19.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso" and "kali-linux-xfce-2019.3-amd64.iso" without any problems, but when i was trying to install "manjaro-kde-18.0.4-stable-x86_64.iso" i got a hang-up with error message: "Failed to start Journal Service". with the kernel option "pci=nommconf" i could also install manjaro.

later on i also found a different solution on the web for this problem. reading this website https://www.linux.org/threads/acpi-error-on-lg-gram-17-inch-when-attempting-to-multiboot.24996/ led me to this website https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203617 which led me to the alternative solution on this website https://github.com/crazyluv/solve-lg-gram-17-linux-boot-error :

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 1:38 AM
    whocarez_pt and hfm like this.
  7. alter_ohm

alter_ohm Newbie

Reputations:
    if you want to change the hidden additional bios settings press CTRL+ALT+F7 inside bios.
    my bios version is W1ZD1210 X64 from 03/25/2019

to summarize some bios options:
    - press F10 at LG screen to see a quick bios boot menu (instead of entering bios and changing boot order)
    - press F2 at LG screen to enter bios
    - press CTRL+ALT+F7 in bios to get additional bios options (Thunderbolt RTD3 option)

to boot some linux distributions it is necessary to disable secure boot. i could boot and install mint 19.2 with secure boot enabled but hat to disable it for kali linux.
    - Security tab / Secure Boot Information / disable "Secure Boot Option"

to avoid linux (kernel >= 4.18) acpi error hang-up (no need to add "pci=nommconf" kernel option) disable RTD3:
    - Advanced tab / Intel Advanced Menu / Thunderbolt Configuration / Discreet Thunderbolt Configuration / Thunderbolt OS Select / switch Windows 10 Thunderbolt support from "Enabled +RTD3" to "Enabled" or "Disabled"

hfm, nalim and whocarez_pt like this.
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Interesting, what's different about that BIOS version I wonder? I don't see that one available anywhere for download.
    I upgraded my BIOS on my US unit to the newer one that's available on the Korean site, but it's older than that one (W1ZD1180 X64 01/29/2019) .

9. alter_ohm

alter_ohm Newbie

Reputations:
    i never updated my bios (W1ZD1210 X64 from 03/25/2019). it already came with this version installed (from amazon.es). i just visited the korean website and it's strange that the bios there is older (W1ZD1180).

hfm likes this.
  10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would imagine there's some bug fixes or compatibility improvements. Makes me wonder if there's any hardware changes instead where that bios is specific to that Gram 17 revision. It would be nice if LG would say something about it for us enthusiasts.

Good find on the ctrl-alt-F7 BIOS option btw!