New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, sometimes you end up getting the low percentage luck of the draw bad one. I've never heard of that brand though.

2. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like the HP EX950 series of SSD's. Read the reviews on them, they are pretty popular and have near the same performance as the latest Samsung series but about half the cost.

3. Tim Black

Tim Black Newbie

Reputations:
    Interesting, and thanks for the hp tip. I got the replacement inland SSD today and yep, it works like a charm. Also, fyi these inland devices seem to be as you say for the hp ones. I paid $119 for 1tb and it competes with the 970 Evo Pro.

Inland Premium 1TB SSD 3D NAND... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RCM6DXK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

4. Tim Black

Tim Black Newbie

Reputations:
    Spoke too soon. Although the drive indeed works, the win 10 pro install media doesn't appear to have correct drivers for the lg gram trackpad or its WiFi. Anyone have this problem? This hardware works fine when I boot the original win 10 home it came with.

UPDATE: was just easier to clone the win10home SSD onto my new SSD. But of course this way I'm stuck with home's auto update debacle. I really want to put Ubuntu on the gram but think I'll wait until I can find a Linux driver for the fingerprint scanner..

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The trackpad and WiFi should work out of the box, trackpad uses microsoft precision drivers and the WiFi is a pretty common Intel 9560. What you might need to do is install LG Control Center and LG Update Center (download them from LG). It might be that your Fn key to turn the trackpad on and off is in the off position.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Linux drivers for the Goodix fingerprint scanner.

6. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For shoppers in S.Korea, LG Ultragear 17U790 is up for preorder from some retailers.
    Spec comparison shows the two versions are similar except for CPU,
    17U790-PA50K has i5-8265U, while 17U70-PA70K has i7-8565U.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  7. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Could anyone who actually has the LG 17 Gram please go to the device manager, and check the driver date on their camera?
    I did a fresh install and did the LG update but the camera seems crappy and I'm thinking it might be my driver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the exact same driver on my machine. Camera quality is terrible, but at least it doesn't waste a lot of space on the bezel.

9. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks - I also have terrible camera quality - can you use hello face - mine says no cameras found or some such thing.

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It does not support Windows Hello, that needs near IR cameras which this unit does't have. Maybe next iteration. At least we have fingerprint.