New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. foogle

foogle Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where to download the latest version of LG Control Center? The ones from the UK site is a few years old and does not have the latest controls. Thanks.

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You need to go here https://www.lgservice.co.kr/download/selectSearchView.do (turn on translation) go the NOTEBOOK section and search for 17Z990. Select any model that appears, they all have the same software. You can download it from that list of software/drivers.

Hopefully that works. I think there's a US model and the Euro model, not sure if the Korean model is the same as one of those.

3. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hfm likes this.
  4. DanielNTX

Reputations:
    hfm likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  6. Tim Black

Tim Black Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm thinking about replacing my Dell XPS 9550 with a Gram 17 and saw this offer shopping prices. I'm now considering joining Costco just for this offer. I'd be using the gram for general computing and software development (although most of these activities just require ssh'ing from laptop into remote servers, so I don't need a lot of horsepower, but screen real estate is more valuable.) There's so many things about the gram that answer my prayers... I just hope the keyboard is adequate and not too mushy..

I've got a 16GB DDR4-2400 left over from the XPS - my understanding is that I can install this into the Gram to achieve a total 24GB (since there's 8GB soldered onto mainboard). Is this correct?

I'd also be replacing the SSD as I understand the Gram's SSD is not great. Perhaps I'll swap the faster NVMe from the XPS (which has Win10Pro) with the Gram's.

hfm likes this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, you should be able to do both of those things. They keyboard is.. decent. Not the best.. not the worst. Probably will take a week or two to get used to.

8. Tim Black

Tim Black Newbie

Reputations:
    Bought one! I' got the ram upgraded to 24Gb and am trying to install an Inland 1Tb nvme x4 SSD in the x4 slot in this thing and boot from a win10 install USB, but the new SSD isn't recognized..

9. DanielNTX

Reputations:
    Are you sure your SSD is good? For me it was just plug and play.

10. Tim Black

Tim Black Newbie

Reputations:
    Nope, I'm not sure at all. I also put the inland SSD in my XPS 9550 laptop and booted into gparted live and it wasn't recognized there either. (The XPS had another nvme x4 SSD prior) I'll return the drive. Question is do I replace it with the same model? I think I will since most reports are that this model worked fine in other laptops.