New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I received that expensive innergie usb-c 60w charger yesterday. I ordered it on eBay from Taiwan. It took me almost two days to run my battery to 0%, but now I am able to take a few measurements.

the charger seems nicely made and it really is unbelievably small, like two packets of matches. However it weighs 99g, so there is some heft to it, it almost feels like solid rock. A 40W charger I have from Huawei is a bit lighter (80g), although it's larger and less powerful.

It does charge just fine. My watt meter reads 42W when charging an almost empty battery with the laptop asleep.

Now to the weird parts. It comes with a strangely large usb-c cable with an enormous ferrite bead. That's kinda weird as the device is so small. No worries for me, I'll just use the Huawei cable without bead, but definitely odd for people with no good usb-c cable.

What's much more annoying is the fact the charger produces a "usb device not recognized" warning when plugged in. At one point windows installed a driver for it and then things were ok for a while, but today I'm getting this warning again and needing a driver for a charger seems totally strange - especially if there is nothing to be gained from the driver. It would be nice if this would allow to monitor the charging or something like that, but that doesn't seem to be the case and there is no mention of a driver anywhere.

Would I buy the thing again. Probably not.
    I think we'll soon get many more small usb-c chargers with this new kind of tech, probably for less and without strange things included.

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not quite sure what this is, Windows Update just installed it, Windows 10 1903

upload_2019-7-12_19-42-48.png

3. ncray

ncray Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree with you wholeheartedly! I am very curious how virtualbox is working for you because I noticed that VT-x is disabled and the UEFI has no place to enable it. Have you figured out how to turn it on?

4. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019 at 12:35 PM
    hfm likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Same here, it's working on mine as well.

6. ncray

ncray Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok good to know. I'll upgrade to Win Pro shortly. Have you noticed any difference in performance when you're running VMs on the gram vs a more powerful laptop/desktop?