New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So I took a few screenshots. Asus GPU Tweak II ended up having an OSD, but it didn't work with Metro Exodus or Forza Demo (probably because Win Store?) so I had to turn on GeForce Experience or the internal FPS counter.

Metro: Last Light Redux
    [​IMG]

Rage 2
    [​IMG]

Metro Exodus (RTX on High, Hairworks off obvs... There's probably more demanding areas but this is where I am in the game)
    [​IMG]

Forza Horizon 4 demo winter seemed to perform the worst, it was in the 40s a lot, 1600p ULTRA preset
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bsimon likes this.
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm kind of interested in if they will upgrade the cooling a little if they release a refresh of the Gram 17 at year end or early next year with the new 10th gen 10nm Ice Lake CPUs. The boost in iGPU power is interesting, as well as the integrated TB3 support which should make that more efficient.

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I just noticed that the Asus Tweak II software was constantly using like 6-7% CPU when it was running, not sure if that colored some of the results in my performance..

4. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In Horizon 4 I'm getting a solid 60fps on 1920x1200, but check out the 2560x1600 screenshot:

Screenshot (2).jpg

46 fps, but only 68% GPU usage :(. That's why I think for this game at native res, the bottleneck is TB3 or my enclosure.

kneehowguys likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's odd, well I got 43FPS at 1600 ULTRA preset in that one heaviest area of the winter part of the demo, so it doesn't seem the GPU really makes a difference at all even though mine is at much higher usage. It does seem to vary enough that it's hard to tell exactly where it is at any one time. I can get high 50's to 60 in other areas though. I definitely noticed winter and whatever season the mud season was... spring? were the two worst performers of the 4.

I uninstalled it or I'd try again with the HIGH preset or something..

6. Pflugshaupt

Reputations:
    I'm not getting 60fps stable at 1600p in horizon 4 even with the low preset. And my cpu is not maxed out at all.

kneehowguys likes this.
  7. gweempose

gweempose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I decided to return the MSI and bought the 17" gram instead (I need to update my signature). So far, I agree with you that it is perfect for my needs.
    I realize I gave up a lot in the performance department, but I honestly think I am much better off with the LG. The battery life on the gram absolutely destroys the MSI. This is a huge factor for me.
    Yeah, that power brick that came with the MSI was extremely heavy. I much prefer the smaller one that came with the gram. I'd love to be able to charge it via the USB-C port as well. Is there a particular charger that you recommend?
    I agree. The trackpad on the gram is WAY better. I just wish I could figure out a way to enable coasting. On my old HP laptop, there was a Synaptics control panel which allowed you to fine tune much more settings. I don't see anything like this on the LG. Am I missing something?

kneehowguys likes this.
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Gram trackpad, and frankly a lot of trackpads these days, use Microsoft precision drivers. The best you can get is go to the Touchpad section of the settings and tweak things there. I just use whatever the default is, seems ok.

I would say any USB-C charger that can supply at least 35W is probably fine. I think @Pflugshaupt had found this earlier in the thread, it looks nice and small and provides plenty of power. http://www.myinnergie.com/sg/product/136

gweempose likes this.
  9. Pflugshaupt

Reputations:
    That innergie charger... I was actually asking whether anyone knows it is compatible, and so far this is not confirmed. It's quite expensive, so I don't want to take any chances.

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's also pretty expensive, I'd just get a different one. I think any of them that does USB-C PD and is at least 40-50W will probably be fine.