New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hendra

hendra Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Question for LG Gram 17 owner:
    How do you like the keyboard?

Individual keys seem to be shrunk a little bit to make room for the numpad.

Is the key travel much better than MacBook butterfly keyboard?

The touchpad is off center with respect to the placement of your hands. Does that bother you?

hfm likes this.
  2. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I like the keyboard.

Most keys have their normal size, but the numpad is shrunk quite a bit and has a weird layout. I don't like the numpad, but to be honest I haven't used it much. It's weird not to have a real numpad as there is so much space left and I'd rather have none than this one with the operators at weird locations.

The key travel is MUCH better than on these butterfly keyboards. I really dislike them and actually sold a MacBook because I could not stand working on the keyboard.

I like the gram keyboard more than many other windows laptop keyboards I have access to. To me, it's better than an msi laptop keyboard (steelseries), better than a lenovo yoga keyboard and better than those hp consumer laptop keyboards. Laptop keyboards I like more than the gram one are various thinkpad keyboards and the huawei matebook x pro keyboard.

The trackpad offset IMHO looks a bit ugly, but I don't find it annoying. I just position myself a bit to the left ;). When I ordered the machine I was worried about it, but now I'm totally used to it. I did move the windows taskbar to the right side of the screen, so my typing area would be better centered.

hfm likes this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I really like the keyboard. As someone that uses both one of the MBP 15 butterfly keyboards (2017) it's SO MUCH BETTER than that keyboard. I'm pretty much used to it being offset, maybe it was easier for me since I had an MSI 16L13 (GT62 chassis type) before this and it was the same pretty much. I think some of my problems still come from switching back and forth between the 2017 MBP 15 keyboard and the Gram 17 keyboard on a pretty consistent basis so I don't get that 100% immersion.

I'm trying to move more and more of my workflow to the Gram 17. I would say you can pretty much get used to any keyboard over time as you build muscle memory with it. I think that's true of the Gram 17 as I've noticed my typing does improve on it the more I use it consistently. I have a problem saying that about the MBP Butterfly keyboards because I really just don't like the feel of them and believe me I've tried so hard to get used to it. I still make a ton of mistakes with it. The Gram 17 has better travel and typing feel. It IS a little cramped but I like typing on it more than the macbook.

I think getting rid of the numpad probably isn't something they're going to be willing to do, as a lot of creatives will use it for workflow enhancement with certain types of production software. People in the PC space are probably more used to this than people using Macs, obviously. I could definitely live with it if they removed it, but I do like that it's there in the rare occasions it comes in handy. But those occasions are rare enough I don't think it would really be a deal breaker for me.

I don't use the touchpad much at all. The times I do use it I really am not bothered at all by it's positioning. It tracks nicely and the clicks have a good feel. It's no macbook touchpad, but not much is. It's close enough for my needs though.

The bottom line though is not these comparisons between the MacBook Pro 15 and the Gram 17. The real comparison for me picking between or recommending to someone the Gram 17 vs an MBP 15 is which ecosystem works best for you. I like playing games in my spare time, and there's no better place to do that than Windows 10, and bootcamp isn't good enough for me in that respect. As an eGPU user, it's way easier and more convenient to use an eGPU on a real Windows 10 platform than bootcamp. I can also use Linux for nearly everything I care about macOS for, so I dual boot. If the things you want to do lend themselves really well to the macOS ecosystem, then that would probably be a big part of the decision over any hardware differences. The fact that this Gram is so light and has such a nice display panel are a lot of reasons to go this route if the ecosystem itself doesn't matter to you. It's really about what your needs are. If using the Gram 17 is going to be a daily fight because you are so used to macOS and what that provides for you it's probably not going to end well.

4. hendra

hendra Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any problem with display scaling? With 17" display at 2560x1600 resolution, one needs to adjust the scaling percentage higher than 100% otherwise everything would be too small. Do you have any problem with some apps not look right because of the scaling?

5. Pflugshaupt

Reputations:
    I have scaling set to 150%. The results depend on the applications you are using. Windows has improved a lot in recent years, but older apps still look blurry sometimes. However this is not related to the Gram17 at all, it's the same for all newer high-res laptops. Just check whether the software you intend you use supports windows display scaling.

hfm likes this.
  6. bsimon

bsimon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    with windows 10 there should be no problems. when a app do not scale, you will have this problem on every hidpi display. My work around for linux/ubuntu is setting up system font size and some needed apps manually. Bowser standard zoom 140%, IDE font size, increase ubuntu taskbar size...
    You can scale this very precise. I like it.

hfm likes this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have had very few display scaling issues, if any, in Windows 10. Come to think of it I'm trying really hard to remember specifically the last app I had this problem with and I can't recall which one it was. It's way better than it used to be, and Windows ability to handle old legacy apps or apps that are not using modern techniques is much better than it used to be.

I've found Linux support hit and miss. A lot of DE's don't have very good support for fractional scaling, which is really required by this display as 2x is far too large. I've found the best support so far using Deepin DE. GNOME seems to not work correctly with browsers causing them to look like interpolated scaling. Both Chrome and Firefox look sharp and correctly scaled in Deepin. I've only had one app look strange, and it appears to be one that tries to handle scaling on it's own, then Deepin scales it further, looking a little too large. But it's fine in the case of this particular app.

I think we're going to have to go through a couple more years of changes and attempts at standardization before we see support for HiDPI scaling properly implemented in Linux across a wide array of DE's and apps. Such is the problem of Linux on the desktop though. A large amount of power, choice, customizability and configurability with a steep learning curve.

8. gweempose

gweempose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently picked up an MSI laptop, but I'm probably going to return it. I bought it because I got a good deal on it and I thought it looked cool. The battery life is pretty bad on it, though, and I have experienced a number of weird glitches. I'm thinking the 17" Gram is probably a better choice for my needs. I am not a gamer or power user. The laptop will be used mostly for productivity, web browsing, and occasional videos on YouTube, Netflix, etc ... The most important things to me are battery life, screen brightness/clarity, and the quality of the keyboard and touchpad. Do you think this laptop would be a better choice for me? Is there anything I should be aware of before taking the plunge?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  9. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For your needs it would work swimmingly well.

10. Pflugshaupt

Reputations:
    I agree. But.. if it's about the laptop in your signature, then you should be aware that the gram17 has a lot less performance, especially on the GPU side. The 1660ti in that MSI is a beast.

I own a MSI GS72 with a 4k screen and this one came with a matte screen, so maybe your MSI also has a matte a screen and the Gram17 does not.

Comparing my two 17'' I prefer the Gram17 overall as it's a lot lighter, has much better battery life and I like the keyboard much better. Also I prefer the 16:10 screen aspect ratio.

On my MSI I prefer the way cooling is implemented and the screen quality (a bit). I really never could get myself to like those MSI steelseries keyboards although I tried hard. They are mechanically well done, but the font is quite ugly and somehow the keys feel too slippery to me. On my machine the keyboard backlight flickers and if set to white you can still see red/green/blue leds shine through. But the real killer is the extremely short battery life caused by a too small battery and some software issues I could never nail down. It seems to never enter the deeper power saving modes.
    I have an egpu for the Gram 17 running a desktop 1660ti and it still gets easily beaten by the MSI's 1060.
    Another thing to consider is the huge power brick those MSI machines come with. It feels like that msi power brick alone is heavier than the Gram17 :). USB-C charging on the Gram17 is another plus for me.

.. and the trackpad on my msi drove me nuts. It just doesn't register very small movements and that makes it painful to use.

hfm likes this.