New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dual fan might work better as you can use the stock fan for PWM and hopefully the fan power delivery can drive two of them at once, they should both just change speed at the same time, just need a fan with the same voltage. Might work!

2. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes I agree and if I started with a stock machine again, I probably would do that as it's the easiest solution, but I think my built-in fan control is gone now. It doesn't output the right signal for the built-in fan anymore. I think it was a bad idea to connect the rpm signal coming from another fan to it. So I need a custom solution anyway and being able to use the cpu temp to ramp up the fan is tempting. The original system always uses a cpu-proximity temp value and that's why the fan only kicks in once temp throttling is very close.
    Power is definitely sufficient for multiple fans. Btw. does anyone know the name/spec/digikey-part-nr of that fan connector? It's used in many laptops but with different pinouts and I'd like to buy sockets and plugs but I can't determine the type.

3. BCFJS

BCFJS Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently bought a LG Gram 17 and I'm having issues with charging through the USB-C port. I'm hoping someone on this forum can help. Whenever I plug my USB-C wall charger that supplies 10W (5V, 2A) into my LG Gram, I get an error message that I need to use a charger that supplies at least 10W. I've used the same charger to charge my 15 inch Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, so I know it works. I've also tried several other chargers that supply 10W (5V, 2A), and my Anker battery pack that supplies 5V, 2.4A, and I keep getting the same error message.

This is actually my second LG Gram 17: Amazon sent me a replacement LG Gram because the first one was having the same issue (I thought it was defective). I've read in reviews that the LG Gram 17 can be charged with a typical USB-C cell phone charger that provides 10W (5V, 2A). I doubt I've received 2 LG Grams that have the same charging defect. Please tell me what's going on. I would really like to be able to charge my LG Gram with just my cell phone charger or battery pack. Thanks.

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You might need to call LG about that. I've personally never tried charging with anything smaller than a MacBook Pro 15 charger (87W) on the USB port.

5. Pflugshaupt

Reputations:
    I just tried using an AUKey multiport charger and this also doesn't charge for me. I then also tried using a Nintendo Switch charger and that one works. So maybe it just wants more than 10W? Or maybe some of the phone charger just use the USB-C port and don't really implement the protocols?

I'm thinking about getting that extremely small innergie PowerGear 60W usb-c charger http://www.myinnergie.com/sg/product/136. Has anyone tries this with the Gram 17? It's rather pricey, but oh-so small.

6. bsimon

bsimon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I bought a 15-17 inch sleeve from amazon which fits nicely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fixing the touchpad problem on Ubuntu 19.04 was too complicated for me, was able to track something,
    but do not have knowledge of all the other things ...

Also I have contacted Matan, how has wrote the linux drivers for Lg Gram 17.
    -----------------------------------------
    On Sat, 18 May 2019, XXX wrote:

> Hello Matan,
    >
    > thank you very mutch for your work with Drivers for Lg Gram.
    > I have a LG Gram 17 and Ubuntu 19.04 installed, includingt the new Drivers.
    >
    > Regarding your Documentation,
    > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/laptops/lg-laptop.rst
    >
    > But these keys dont work
    > * FN-F1 (LG control panel) - Generates F15
    > * FN-F5 (Touchpad toggle) - Generates F13
    > * FN-F6 (Airplane mode) - Generates RFKILL
    > * FN-F8 (Keyboard backlight) - Generates F16. This key also changes keyboard backlight mode.
    > * FN-F9 (Reader mode) - Generates F14

Don't work as in do not generate keys, or do they generate keyboard
    events but those do not have the desired effect?

I attached a file with the newest version of my code.
    make should compile it, if you have the necessary prerequisite for
    compiling modules installed.
    make install (as root) should install it, but you can simply use rmmod
    to remove the one that you have and insmod to insert the new one.

I attached a file with a systematic listing of all test of driver
    features (1-18) and all information (a-d) I need to try to improve the
    driver.

I will be thankful for as much answers as you have patience for.
    --
    Matan.
    -----------------------------------------

So nice, he send the source code and a nice manual for every step (!), but I am really a linux noob.
    If I struggle here somehow ... maybe I cant use my laptop for work .... If anybody is interested
    I would like to forward his email.

Best Regards
    Simon

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow this looks nice, nearly the same size as my 18W pixel charger. I still leave the included pin/barrel plug charger in all the time just to leave the USB-C port unused.

I wouldn't mind helping out if no one else can.

8. Pflugshaupt

Reputations:
    I did my final build using dual fans.

I used two slim (5mm height) fans I bought from Conrad https://www.conrad.com/p/sepa-hy60q...-vdc-41-mh-l-x-w-x-h-609-x-5-x-564-mm-1664478
    They are not very powerful, but quiet and don't use a lot of power. And they fit perfectly (and turn the right way unlike other fans I tried).

dual fan 2.JPG

I built a new heatpipe/fin assembly using the chipquik solder and a 200mm/11.2mm/3mm heatpipe. In order to cover all cores with the heatpipe I hat to bend it twice and the bends didn't come out as nicely as the last time, but the impact isn't that bad. Or let's say the heatpipe still isn't the limiting factor.
    I now use an ATTiny85v chip to drive the fans at 25kHz based on temperature values read on the underside of the heatpipe. This chip uses a lot less electricity than the trinket I was using before. The fans are slightly tilted to enable air to enter from the underside. I think what makes this a winner over the dell fan setup I had before is the slimness of the fans. As they are just 5mm in height, air can easily enter. The fan I was using before probably couldn't breathe right. To use these dual fans I had to remove more material from the chassis and modify it to have a wider exhaust. I used an torch-heated exacto knife to cut the extra holes into the plastic.

exhaust.JPG

Using all of this I can finally run at 32W forever and the max temp I'm seeing is 85 C.

I then overdid everything and started running prime95 which turned out to consume up to 46W of power. That's when I hit a cpu power supply brown-out (= total system shutdown). Luckily there was no damage, but I don't feel comfortable going over 30W now. I did set up some power limiting in throttlestop to limit around 30W and prevent shutdowns.

Looking for this setup I tried many heatsink/pipe/fin combinations and often had issues with big differences in core temps. As not much pressure can be used to mount things to the cpu, it is extremely important to get a totally flat surface and use a small amount of tim. I built the sink from copper and thin copper turned out to be too flexible, so this final version uses 0.8 mm of copper on top of the CPU.
    With the last version I think I finally nailed it and now all cores stay within 3 C. When experimenting I had deltas of up to 15 C and of course thermal throttling kicks in when the first core reaches 90 C.

I "cleaned up" the build by using a lot of tape.

dual fan 3.JPG

During all of this modding I found something else that annoys me about my Gram17. On my machine, the trackpad would move ever so slightly when dragging fingers from the bottom to the top, giving a weird almost clicking touch sensation. The top of the trackpad was about 0.1mm loose and would sometimes move up and down. I was able to fix it by adding stripes of paper below the trackpad frame mounting screws. To do that the battery had to be removed which is surprisingly easy - just a few screws. Pictured is the underside of the trackpad normally covered by the battery.

trackpad tiny move fix.JPG

jeremyshaw and hfm like this.
  9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's fantastic! LG should definitely do this same thing in the next Gram 17. Those fans are a fantastic find, the two together consume the same amount of power as the single stock fan , but you have twice the surface area from that heat sink if not more. Great job! I'd be happy to just maintain 25W with a higher boost clock.

10. Pflugshaupt

Reputations:
    I fixed a few problems in the keyboard backlight helper tray app I made. It now uses the latest winring0 lib I could find (from March '19) and does a lot less polling of the backlight EC register.

Attached Files:

nalim likes this.