New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If anyone is interested in the Gram 17 it seems to be $150 off everywhere right now, including straight from LG. $1699 down to approx $1549.

That would basically pay for two of those PCIe 2x 500GB Western Digital Blue SSD.

palatkik likes this.
  3. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They are labeled, but on the photo light reflections hide the information.

hfm likes this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ahh yeah, I can barely see it on the rightmost component. lol, sorry.

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm wondering if the $150 off sale on these means they are going to refresh it with 10th Gen i7 U series CPU imminently.
    I Was just randomly reading the manual and it says it takes 3 hrs to charge fully.

6. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last month LG dropped the price 100USD then put it back up to 1699USD. I missed that window and paid full price. Still happy tho as great laptop.

7. palatkik

Reputations:
    Two newbie questions:

1. Anyone using those keyboard covers such as Leze - Ultra Thin Keyboard Cover for LG Gram? I need something as will working in dusty environs occasionally I think. Wondering if these covers can be left on when carrying or will touch/scratch screen? The screen seems rather soft and at risk of scratching if not looked after?

2. I read the laptop can be charged using USB C port? Can I use any phone charger for this or what are the requirements? Until now I haven't touched it as I don't know.

Cheers

8. Pflugshaupt

Reputations:
    1) no keyboard cover in use here, but I have the screen protector. I see some keyboard dirt on that, but no scratches. I think the keys are too soft to scratch the screen.

2) Yes, but charging with a regular phone charger will be slow (most have 10W or less). You need an usb-c charger that can deliver 30W. I use one from a HUAWEI matebook x pro and also have an aftermarket one from LVSUN. Both of these could charge with 60W, but on the LG Gram17 they use the 30W mode.

palatkik likes this.
  9. palatkik

Reputations:
    OK. Thanks. So my Huawei Mate 9 phone super charger says its 4.5v/5a which I suppose is 22.5W or a bit too low for the LG Gram 17.

10. Pflugshaupt

Reputations:
    I finally found time to code the little tool I wanted to control the keyboard backlight and add a timeout to it. Thanks to TPFanControl's source code I now have c++ code to read and write the EC registers directly using the WinRing0 library. I made all this into a system tray application. Just run it as admin (don't run it without admin rights.. it'll burn cpu trying to write to the EC) and the backlight will time out after some inactivity. To get the backlight to turn on again at night, just touch the trackpad. It adds a tray icon with a "GH" icon that allows to change the backlight and exit the app.

It uses the system inactivity timer (also used for screensaver etc.) and it should pick up manual changes to the backlight. It should be light on CPU and not get in that way. I will keep it running on my system and it might improve a bit over time but I would be curious whether this works for anyone else. In the future I might put the code on GitHub, but first I'd have to do a cleanup session :). Finally I can watch movies at night without having to turn off the backlight manually!

Capture.JPG

This tool will probably work on all 2018/2019 Gram Models but it is only tested with the 2019 LG Gram 17! On incompatible models, writing to these registers directly might cause big troubles.

-- Attachment removed, v1.01 is on thread page 26

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    palatkik, hfm and nalim like this.