New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. bsimon

bsimon Newbie

Reputations:
    I will test Google Stadia when it is available ;)

hfm likes this.
  2. BENN0

BENN0 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm in Europe and the only European Amazon store that sells this model at the moment is the Spanish Amazon store. I don't have a creditcard so that's an extra hoop to jump through, that's why I asked if it would be worth it.

The price is pretty good at the moment on the Spanish amazon store (€1530 including tax, excluding shipping) so I'll look into getting one this week on a borrowed card.
    Thanks everyone for the positive replies.

hfm likes this.
  3. bsimon

bsimon Newbie

Reputations:
    hmm, sometimes with Ubuntu 19.04 I have the problem, that the touchpad stops working for a moment,
    and one time, I have to restart the computer, because touchpad did not come back.
    "/var/log/syslogs" shows many errors like this, when I grep for "Touchpad"

May 20 14:57:52 lpg17 /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1009]: (EE) event5 - 04CA00B1:00 04CA:00B1 Touchpad: libinput bug: unexpected scroll state 3
    May 20 14:57:53 lpg17 /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1009]: message repeated 3 times: [ (EE) event5 - 04CA00B1:00 04CA:00B1 Touchpad: libinput bug: unexpected scroll state 3]
    May 20 14:57:53 lpg17 /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1009]: (EE) event5 - 04CA00B1:00 04CA:00B1 Touchpad: libinput bug: unexpected scroll event 4 in area state
    May 20 14:57:53 lpg17 /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1009]: (EE) event5 - 04CA00B1:00 04CA:00B1 Touchpad: libinput bug: unexpected scroll state 3
    May 20 17:21:10 lpg17 /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1009]: (EE) event5 - 04CA00B1:00 04CA:00B1 Touchpad: kernel bug: Touch jump detected and discarded.
    May 20 17:21:10 lpg17 /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1009]: See https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/1.12.6/touchpad-jumping-cursors.html for details
    May 20 17:24:36 lpg17 /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1009]: (EE) event5 - 04CA00B1:00 04CA:00B1 Touchpad: kernel bug: Touch jump detected and discarded.

Usually, its no problem. https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/1.12.6/touchpad-jumping-cursors.html
    said "When you encounter the warning in the log, please generate an evemu recording of your touchpad and f
    ile a bug. See Reporting bugs for more details." But I do not really understand, how to submit a proper bug
    with Evemu.

hfm likes this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    you basically do this: https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/1.12.6/reporting-bugs.html#evemu

then submit it. The full instructions are there.

5. gigadigit

gigadigit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How long does it take to charge the laptop? Does it have a quick charge feature like some of the other Ultrabooks?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I do not believe it does. It has great battery life, but I don't believe it has any quick charge type capability. At least it isn't a noted feature from LG. I use it plugged in almost all the time and never bothered to note how fast it was charging otherwise. The included barrel plug charger is 48W, as well you can use the USB-C port to charge it. So if you wanted to carry around one of those 45W power delivery batteries that would probably work fine.

7. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As far as I can tell the Gram 17 never charges with more than 32W. I measured charging over USB-C and with the included power brick and 32W was the max wattage I saw with an empty battery. As the battery is 72Wh, a full charge takes 2.5 - 3h. It would be nice if it had fast charging, but on the other hand even if you charge for just 1h it'll last you for many hours of usage, it's really a power sipper. And unlike other thin and light laptops, charging does not lead to performance issues due to heat from the charging.

So I wouldn't mind having faster charging, but so far I never ran into troubles because of the speed. The thing I wished was different was the charging connector. It should not be there, but instead there should be another usb-c.

hfm likes this.
  8. Pflugshaupt

Reputations:
    A word of warning. I am still trying to get the gram 17 to run at the full performance potential with reasonable temps and did various mods and I had a big mishap. Maybe this post will prevent this for other people: At some point I started to think there is just not enough pressure from the heat sink and the way it's mounted to the cpu socket. So I started adding copper shims and using more force on those heat sink screws and that lead to a big accident.

Suddenly temps got really high and after investigating I found out one of the CPU screw sockets came loose. I thought the laptop is done for, but then I realized those things are just soldered onto the motherboard. There is no support bracket on this machine!!! This means the CPU heat sink screws cannot take a lot of force as it's the motherboard itself that's holding things together. So don't use too much force on the CPU sink screws! Luckily I was able to reattach the screw socket and resolder the connection, but it was nerve-wrecking and I had to remove the motherboard completely (which is btw. quite easy).

The lack of pressure really is a problem, but what would be needed to solve it was a custom bracket.

whocarez_pt likes this.
  9. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OH MAN. That's scary. Yeah I never use a lot of force fastening a heat sink, big no-no in any circumstance. You also have the rare times where doing that can chip or crack a die, super rare but I've seen it. With this weak sauce assembly in the Gram 17 it probably would never happen...

10. Pflugshaupt

Reputations:
    Here are some images of the horror, as well as a high-res shot of the bottom side of the motherboard.

missing socket.JPG
    screw socket.JPG

Motherboard:

motherboard bottom.jpg