New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I can vouch for
    Code:
    pci=nommconf
    working fine for Manjaro Deepin edition.

Thanks!

2. bsimon

bsimon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I just bought a withe LG Gram 17 from Korea (ebay.co.kr).
    Is is a smaller version, i3, 8GB RAM, 128 GB, no Thunderbold. 1.380 USD. In comparions ...
    maybee a little bit expensive. But so far a very nice notebook for me. I have installed Windows Pro.
    I was not able to use "LG Update Center for LG Notebook.(Ver.1.0.1810.1701)" from lg.com.
    But there was a "DNA" partition with software, drivers, to install everything.

I am a Web Developer and use Docker. I've been working with Ubuntu 18.04 recently.
    I would like to install 18.04 or maybee 19.04 with fractional scaling the next days.
    (my upgrade attempts to 19.04 were not very successfull on my old Notebook ...)

I had read that Lg products are better supported with new linux kernels (4.2-5).
    And found this list: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/laptops/lg-laptop.rst
    Reader Mode and Silent Mode is supported with new linux kernel? I like these
    Modes very mutch.

Best Regards from Germany
    Simon

hfm likes this.
  3. bsimon

bsimon Newbie

Reputations:
    19.04 works fine here so far. fractional scaling dont work well with firefox, phpstorm, keepassxc ... so I step back to bigger font sizes and zooms for the browsers. I booted a few times with no problems. (I do not have thunderbold and other thing migth be different). best regards

hfm likes this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't have the LG_LAPTOP driver loaded, so I'm missing those features (panel brightness and the few critical ones work fine). I might compile a new kernel just to see if I can get the touchpad switch working, I usually have it turned off.

5. bsimon

bsimon Newbie

Reputations:
    I think I also do not have more than Panel Brightness, Speaker Loudness via FN Keys.
    But I think my fan_mode works. Manually writing 1 to /sys/devices/platform/lg-laptop/fan_mode.

6. BENN0

BENN0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Despite the performance and thermal issues mentioned in the thread, would you still recommend this laptop?
    The screen size / resolution and small frame makes it my ideal laptop with no practical alternative at the moment.
    Unfortunately LG does not sell laptops in my country so I have to import it. I wonder if it's worth the hassle given the mentioned performance and thermal issues. I do not need top performance for my usage but in case of support issues it would be very unpractical to return or get serviced.

7. bsimon

bsimon Newbie

Reputations:
    It is very very silent and has a top screen. With hdpi, fonts looks mutch better than on full hd, its a big win when you work with a lot of text.
    I would not recommend the laptop for outside. Inside its good, and with lower light great. I do not have any performance or thermal issues with i3. Programming work,
    (my java IDE is demanding - here I can sometimes hear the fan), videos, big excel files (4-5 MB) no problem so far. I do not need more and do not have any problems so far.
    If you want safty regarding returning the laptop, buy it from amazon. USA or Spain. I am happy with this laptop.

hfm likes this.
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Without hesitation. It's the best laptop I've owned. Perfect union of screen size and weight. Decent performance. Good battery life. With an eGPU it can game like a boss. I really like it.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  9. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got mine from Amazon in the post today, they sent it outside the US. Box came pretty bashed up, just a piece of crumpled paper inside to absorb knocks, the LG box inside the Amazon box was good though despite sliding all around the Amazon box and the laptop was up and running perfectly in no time.

hfm likes this.
  10. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, If you want to go for 17'' and truly portable, there is no alternative. Performance is ok even with the thermal issues, I'm just OCDing about it.

I did try some more stuff in the meantime to improve thermal performance, but still haven't found the silver bullet. I will make another mod post soonish. The thing I'm concerned about with this machine is hitting 90 degree celsius quickly all the time. I know the CPU should be able to handle it, but I'm still worried about shortening its lifetime.