New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There are reflections where there is a lot of light. Playing darker games is difficult in that kind of light with the reflection. I don't have too many issues in general usability in brighter areas though since the screen content is typically brighter. Granted, I don't take my laptop outside a whole lot if at all. I do have a window behind me though. I'm used to using a MacBook Pro 15 with a glass screen, it's a least a TAD better, but not much.

For me personally, I don't really care much about glossy screens. I actually like them more because the content looks better without a matte layer in the way. But this is purely opinion and everyone's use cases are different.

I would say if you can't stand MacBook type glass panels you probably will have mostly the same problem with the Gram 17 unless you add a matte layer.

Sir Punk likes this.
  2. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback, I actually had the LG gram 15 and absolutely hated the reflections, I also work often outside.

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, if you work outside a lot you should either get a notebook with a matte panel or get one of those glare reduction layers.

4. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried outdoor use with my anti-glare thing and I find it at the border of being usable (at noon, cloudy sky). I wouldn't want to use it outside, the screen is not bright enough to work comfortably. I would immediately look for a shady spot.

5. nalim

nalim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Today morning I have received following email with a request to post a link here. Strange is a have zero problem to use stock Fedora 29 & 30 on my gram 17.

>>>
    Hey Nalim,

I don't have an account on the Notebook Review forum; I tried creating one earlier but someone has to approve my account before I can post anything. It's the only site I've seen the issue being actively discussed, so I wanted to share a workaround I have:
    https://github.com/dhedlund/kernel-patch-lg-gram-17

If you would be so kind, could you share that link in the LG Gram 17 forum thread to give other people on the thread, or via google searches, hope that there's a solution.

Now that I've been able to narrow down the issue to a specific commit, I'm going work on a proper patch this weekend. Because of how long it takes Linux distros to adopt the latest kernel changes and how long it takes install images to also get updated, this issue is going to be seen by people for a while.

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
    danielATdigitreeDOTorg
    <<<

hfm likes this.
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow, awesome! Thanks for this.

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Interestingly, I was able to boot into Pop! OS from the USB after first booting into Deepin then rebooting and booting off the USB. It seems like something about booting into Win 10 first breaks ACPI in Linux. I have a feeling something is being changed in the firmware on boot.

Edit: Apparently this is not the case. But it seems to work somewhat randomly. One time I'll see the ACPI errors, the next everything seems fine. Might be some race condition.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  8. Daniel Hedlund

Daniel Hedlund Newbie

Reputations:
    TL;DR: ACPI error workaround as of May 13th, add `pci=nommconf`.

Small update on the endless ACPI errors. The issue appears to be related to trying to increase the io size allocated to a specific pci hotplug device on the thunderbolt 3 bridge. What I'm seeing is consistent with the results of the git bisect I did earlier that added a call to reallocate unassigned bridge resources; a change introduced in that commit tries to optimize the layout of memory and io across a bridge, and allocates more resources to hotplug buses that would otherwise go to waste.

When the above is performed in combination with MMCONFIG/MCFG (memory-mapped config space/table provided by motherboard (firmware, bios?), some kind of corruption occurs that immediately begins spamming the ACPI interrupt handler with junk events; this may be due to memory corruption/offset errors, but I'm not sure yet. They don't appear to be valid events; they seem to be randomized and each event has flags set on them that should make it impossible to reach the code paths that are generating the errors due to guards on the dispatch side. ACPI errors have their event's dispatch type set to none, which should never happen...it's not the GPE XX that's the problem, they're just bogus.

I'm still trying to narrow the issue further to see if it's a kernel bug or on Intel/LGs side. Unfortunately, I won't have more time for several days. Most likely the issue is with the MMCONFIG table, or an assumption the kernel is making that it can grow into specific memory addresses that are actually reserved.

Please let know if this works, or if there are any other issues being seen as a result.

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for this work Daniel! Much appreciated. I spent a bit of time digging through this code after you noted the commit that caused the problems, but you've clearly understood the issue better than I. :)

I blew away my Linux partitions yesterday in anticipation for WSL2 solving the reasons I wanted to install Linux in the first place, but I'll give this a shot this week and see if it works around the problem.

I still don't QUITE understand why it seemed to be random whether I could boot successfully or not, I'm guessing ether something in the BIOS was being changed on successive boots into different OS's, or it's simply some asynchronous order of operations causing an intermittent race condition. Perhaps the amount of time it takes for a driver to init TB3?

10. vujazzman

vujazzman Newbie

Reputations:
    Youre doing the lord's work. As far as I can tell, everything works and is stable with pci=nommconf.

I appreciate any further insight you can give into this, if eg its on linux's side or lg/intel, as you mention (although I think linux acpi considers anything a bug which doesnt work if it works with windows). I'll keep checking back in case the kernel param is not needed in the future.