New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The protector I installed looks very similar to those found on newer non-glare thinkpad screens. I tried making an image, but it seems impossible to capture the anti-gloss quality. Of course, you lose some brightness, but with this brand it's ok (for me). It also doesn't lead to "rainbow" pixels or fuzziness as some other anti-glare protectors do.

Only problems I see with it are:
    It's very hard to install on such a large screen. I now have just one unhappy spot on the second install I did and that's fine for me.
    It is slightly too small - there is a thin glossy frame of about 2 pixels around the screen (similar to these newer thinkpad screens).

kneehowguys likes this.
  2. vujazzman

vujazzman Newbie

Reputations:
    With the boot menu, I was able to boot into the Fedora live cd with no problem. However, looking at dmesg reveals the same gpe flood as on the arch kernel. It seems fedora's configuration simply mitigated this problem from blocking boot, but didn't fix it. I also still seemed to have trouble suspending to ram inside the livecd. I did not try to do any real work inside the livecd to see if I got the same random shutdowns as I do on arch, but Im not terribly optimistic, as nothing else seems better.

Those on fedora, do you have any indications of problems during boot in your syslog? Do you have trouble suspending to ram?

Also, I see a bios update has been mentioned. I dont have Windows installed anymore, is there any other way to flash the bios?

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No other way to install the new bios that I am aware of since it's a windows exe. It's interesting that you aren't able to get Fedora 30 to work where I am. That's just strange. You could install windows just to update the bios, probably doesn't matter if it's activated or not.

kneehowguys likes this.
  4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Would you recommend a lay person get a screen protector? Seems like it would be easy to mess up (16:10 screen, protector too small, etc)

I'm debating vs the Lg gram 17 vs another laptop with 15 + inch screen but brighter. I'm not really sure if screen size is more important than brightness in practice. Are you happy with the LG gram 17?

5. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you find yourself using the LG gram 17 more than your macbook even though the macbook is brighter?

6. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have both a mac book pro 2015 15'' and now the lg gram 17 and currently I like the gram more. The macbook feels like a small screen now and as if it was made from solid metal. I do prefer the keyboard and the trackkpad on the MBP, but not by much. I don't use full display brightness on either machine and both have anti-glare protectors installed.

Installing the protector is tricky. I have done it many times over the years, but I only managed one perfect install. The gram went almost perfectly, but it took a few attempts to figure out a way to do it semi-reliably. A dust-free environment would be needed and I don't have that. If you have one then you should easily be able to do it. On the MBP I use a Moshi iVisor and that one can be done easily and is also removable, but unfortunately only available for macs.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I still use the MacBook for work and the Gram 17 for everything else since I have so much of my workflow already configured on the Mac. I just haven't gotten around to configuring everything I need for my dev environment on the Gram, though I do have most of it installed for my own personal usage. Perhaps one day I'll give it a trial run for a week or two and see how it goes. Plus it's provided by the company so there's some stuff on it that I can't install on my own device, not that I care about that much as it's not really important things. Much like @Pflugshaupt I don't use full brightness on either notebook, also I don't use screen protectors.

I will say unlike @Pflugshaupt I like the keyboard on the Gram better. These butterfly keyboards are not very good IMO. But @Pflugshaupt has a 2015, so it's the better keyboard before Apple "fixed" it.

kneehowguys likes this.
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Another new wrinkle. I decided to try the Pop! OS (19.04) live iso last night just to see what that distro is about, tried to boot off it and was greeted by the spam of ACPI errors. I think if I get some spare time on the weekend I might sit down and try to figure out exactly what it is about some of these distros where they are working properly with our units and others don't. It has to be something missing from the kernel/drivers. I don't think it's the LG_LAPTOP driver as I was successfully able to compile a kernel with that driver and it didn't fix anything.

9. vujazzman

vujazzman Newbie

Reputations:
    I would certainly appreciate any insight you can give. Im still using mine in pci=noacpi mode, with no touchpad or suspend. Could be worse, but not ideal

10. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For people without screen protector, can you comment on screen reflections both outdoor and in rooms where there are bright artificial lights?