New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Should work. Might have to format the old one afterward using a rescue USB though, I've seen problems with a cloned drive existing alongside the clone of it. This might not be an issue though.

palatkik likes this.
  2. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Back from a trip, I finally got my hands on a thermal camera. I looked at the motherboard under load and there are two chips that reach high temperatures (besides the CPU). I marked them red on hfm's screenshot. These two reach 90 degree celsius under full load and probably need additional cooling when the tdp is set higher.

The yellow chips get hot during charging, but they only reach 45 degree celsius, so no worries there.

If someone is looking for it, I also marked the bios chip pink.

hot chips.jpg

I also saw that my current solution with the added fins doesn't do much as these fins don't really get hot. Next thing I'll do is solder them onto the heat pipe using low temp solder and a copper plate.I also ordered another heat pipe (non-plated copper to enable soldering) from china and when it arrives, I'll do a dual heatpipe solder solution.

I used the gram17 a lot during my week of travel and it's been a joy. I never had to look for an outlet as the battery lasts all day when writing code and occasionally doing a compile.

nalim likes this.
  3. Alfonso Brown

Alfonso Brown Newbie

Reputations:
    I saw this issue also. Of the distributions I tried to boot into, the only one that worked without that issue was Elementary OS Juno. The Elementary OS boot ISO I used is using kernel version 4.15. All the other distros I tried were either using 4.18 or 5.0, which had the same problem with the ACPI Error messages flooding the screen. I was able to install Elementary OS Juno on the drive without any problems, but I tried to install the 4.18 kernel just to see if the same ACPI error message came up, and it did. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed soon...

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I just installed Deepin recently which is on kernel 4.15. Works great. Maybe at some point I'll try to get to the bottom of this but I would imagine it will be a non-issue as some distros move forward.

5. Alfonso Brown

Alfonso Brown Newbie

Reputations:
    Were you able to compile the lg_laptop kernel module on Deepin? I tried to compile it on Elementary OS and wasn't successful.

6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I didn't need to. Monitor brightness and volume work fine in Deepin. I did compile my own 5.0 kernels for Manjaro and couldn't get it working. Well, compiling the kernel with the LG_LAPTOP driver worked fine, it just didn't fix the acpi issues. So far Fedora 30 and Deepin have both worked fine.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I got a new toy, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 + Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC. Loving it!

The Firestrike scores were way lower than my old 7700K + 1080, but the Time Spy scores are about equal with graphics being faster and CPU being slower.

I tried a couple games at native res with details cranked up (I'm not using an external monitor) and they all have played really well so far. Going to install some more intense games and see how that goes.

EDIT: just played Metro Last Light for a bit, ran like butter at native res with details cranked. Like it so far.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  8. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am using an Akitio Node Thunderbolt 3 egpu enclosure with a 1660Ti on the inside and it's working great as well. Using an external monitor does boost framerates a lot - especially for resolutions above 1080p. Setting the speed shift setting in Throttlestop to 0 will make the CPU switch frequency much less often, which does help with framerate stability.

hfm likes this.
  9. Alfonso Brown

Alfonso Brown Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. I will try one of those distros and see if I have any better luck compiling the code. The volume and screen controls were working in elementary also. I was mainly looking at the lg_laptop module for the battery_care_limit function, and to disable the touchpad.

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am using throttlestop for that reason, though I can't use an external monitor, don't have one and my typical sitting arrangement won't fit one. I am very happy with it though. I get enough work time with multi monitor at the office. :)

Pflugshaupt likes this.