New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Fedora 30 works fine for everything I can find so far, so this isn't a problem with the laptop, it's a problem with the build of the kernel and drivers Arch is using. I haven't had the time to sift through and determine what needs to change for Arch, honestly I'm pretty distro agnostic so I don't really care much it's not sitting high on my list of priorities. I did try to build a 5.0.7 kernel for Manjaro and made sure the LG_LAPTOP drivers were included. This didn't fix the problem, so it's something else causing it.

The LiveCD for Ubuntu 19.04 also worked without issue, but I've seen LiveCDs work and then when I install the ACPI issues start so YMMV.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hfm and palatkik like this.
  3. Drewzer1

Drewzer1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all - what's the best way to replace the 256GB drive that comes with the Costco edition I'm getting with an NVME? Is there recovery media to use to do a clean install? My thought is to use the 256GB down the road to run Ubuntu. Thanks!

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you look through the thread there's already discussion about it. Also you could start reading here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/change-ssd.828261/#post-10889475

There's a couple different ways to attack it depending on what hardware you have on hand. This is just one of them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I will say the one nice thing about this review, aside from the inaccurate info about the display panel is that there's an .icm file to download and try out. Panels can vary along with environment the panel is in, but it's nice to try another calibration to see how I like it. :)

Obviously just made some assumptions and didn't pay much attention to detail, I've seen this kind of cut-and-paste error from notebookcheck's reviews before. It's weirdly sometimes a contrast between getting basic things wrong mixed with some very in-depth information. I really like their reviews overall. It can be frustrating sometimes seeing these basic errors from them. They really should have played up the 16:10 aspect ratio of the display up more. It's really one of this notebook's strong points and you don't see it very often.

6. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @nalim, am I right to assume you used the the following SODIMM stick: SAMSUNG 32 gb M471A4G43MB1-CTD ? Or is there any other DDR4 32 GB SODIMM?

7. Drewzer1

Drewzer1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. I think my question now is more whether it's worth it to start fresh from a clean install of Win10 as opposed to using LG's build. Does LG's build include a lot of annoying software I don't want?

Next question would be whether the Win10 license that comes with the machine would work if I installed from Win10 installation media.

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you're using an MS account your key is probably tied to the machine so you can reinstall the same edition I would imagine. Might want to extract your key just in case. But, I would just clone it, there's really nothing there you can't easily uninstall, and you do need some of the LG software to take advantage of some features.

9. nalim

nalim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've got a Gram17 and and extra 1TB NVMe drive coming to me. I was hoping to just put the 1TB drive in the extra bay of the Gram, clone the original drive onto it with free Macrium then swap the drives out. No extra hardware needed? Should this work OK?