New LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by vvb8890, Jan 16, 2019.

1. vvb8890

vvb8890 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't see a thread for the new LG Gram 17 (17Z990-R.AAS8U1). It looks very compelling. LG published the user guide on their website and it looks like it supports USB-C charging at a minimum 10W (5V/2A) or higher, so you should be able to use a regular phone charger to charge it (albeit slowly).

2. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought this was one of the better laptops announced as of late. The large 72W battery (which we don't see for U series chips often), under 3 pounds, plus the 16:10 17" 2K display in a subjectively not that much bigger than a typical 15" laptops form factor is impressive. I wish more laptops were 3:2 but I'll take 16:10 as a interim step until (hopefully) the market gets there and adopts 3:2.

What bums me a bit based on the Q&A section on Best Buy's website for the laptop is that LG states the display brightness is 300 nits max. I have a 6th gen carbon x1 with a 2K 500 nit HDR display and it's spoiled me...

For reference, the Q&A also states that the contrast ratio is 1000:1 and the screen is glossy.

3. vvb8890

Reputations:
    The 16:10 ratio also gives the screen a bit more space than a regular 17" - about 6.5 more square inches of total screen area. Disappointing that it's glossy but LG displays are almost always flicker-free so that's good.

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I wonder if they set the TDP on this to 15W or 25W. Hopefully the latter.

I saw a tear down of it on youtube and captured this screenshot. It seems like it has the same extremely anemic heat management solution that the 2018 15" LG Gram had. There's probably going to be a reapplication of TIM in order to try to keep it from throttling. There's so much room in there, why they didn't put a better heat management solution in there I don't know. it wouldn't have taken up that much more weight to just add a little extra. The fins on the heat sink are.. sub-optimal..

[​IMG]

5. vvb8890

Reputations:
    They're at 2.95 pounds so I'm sure they wanted to keep it under 3. Probably the same reason there's no MX150.

6. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone have an LG gram 17?

1. How is the experience of typing/using the touchpad your lap (say while kicking back on a couch)? Evidently the keyboard is not centered but the touchpad is centered, which leads to some awkwardness

The use case I'm thinking of: typing code while kicking back on a couch or something

2. Do you think there is a better 17 inch device for what I'm trying to do? Lg gram 17 seems light enough it shouldn't dig into one's legs too much but I don't know if the keyboard/touchpad placement damns it

3. What was using the device connected to an eGPU like? Can it handle, say, a few youtube 4k videos well without stutter?

7. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That is odd, but the touch pad looks about twice as big as my HP. I wish it had a stick. I don't like using the touch pad with a FHD. I wouldn't think a WQXGA would be better.

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This would be great for code, reason I'm seriously considering it. That 16:10 aspect ratio is super tempting, especially at 3lb with no fan vents on the bottom to obstruct anything when on a lap.

You bring up a good point about the touchpad placement, that's the one thing that was being complained about in the review I read. I would imagine you could get used to it though given time. Obviously just dealing with it for a day or some hours to review it isn't enough time for that. I guess that's personal preference. I currently switch back and forth between an MSI 16L13 and a MacBook Pro 15. The MSI has an off center keyboard and it doesn't bother me that much.

It doesn't seem that way. I can't find anything this good for 17" at this form factor and weight. The closest thing I can find is the MSI GS75 that's 5lb and slightly larger footprint. That also has intake vents on the bottom. I mean they aren't even close to the same class really, but they are only $400 apart in price. Oh, and the GS75 is 16:9, not 16:10.

eGPU should work just fine. The thing I worry about is that it appears that the heat management solution (heat pipe and sink) is the exact same one that's on the LG Gram 15 from last year. It had some throttling issues unless you replaced the junk TIM they used. I'm planning on using it with an eGPU and I don't see why it would be a problem.

The i7 8565 should be able to handle 4K video with zero issues, it's much more powerful than weaker CPUs and SoCs that can handle 4K with no issues. You said "a few", you mean multiple 4K streams simultaneously?

If you search youtube you can find all sorts of Korean reviews, just switch the closed captioning to translate to English on the fly. I think there's also a couple people doing English reviews as well.

Personally I'm waiting for a better selection of trusted reviews before I make any decisions.

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  10. olsonnet

olsonnet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got mine about a week ago. Finally had some time to play with it. Swapped in a 970 EVO drive and did a clean install of the latest Win 10 LTSC. So far no complaints.

kneehowguys and hfm like this.