New Latitude 5470

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by jasperjones, Dec 16, 2015.

1. ferralis

ferralis Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been wanting to expand my storage for a while now and I bought a 240gb 2242 ssd and it works fine... until the laptop is bumped just slightly. At which point the laptop turns off immediately and then can't be booted again until the ssd is removed and reinserted... To me - this sounds like a installation error maybe it's really difficult to properly place the ssd into the wwan slot? However, it could be just due to the fact that the ssd I bought is some garbage brand that I've never heard of before. Any thoughts from people that have installed an ssd into the wwan slot before?

When it is working (when I'm super careful) I do see it in the bios and everything so that's pretty good I think.

2. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Is it securely mounted? Sounds like a loose connection - do you have it mounted with a screw?

mr_handy and John Ratsey like this.
  3. ferralis

ferralis Newbie

Reputations:
    yes it is securely mounted. This is an imgur album that explains exactly what's happening.

briefly: The ssd, when fully pushed in/secured causes the computer to shut down immediately upon boot. However if I slightly tilt it, it works perfectly fine. Maybe someone else has had a similar situation like this? The metal contacts on both the ssd and the wwan slot look fine to me.

The ssd is still screwed in pretty tight, but if I go any tighter it will adopt an orientation more similar to the way it is when it causes the computer to not boot. I'm not super worried, but I have a feeling this will bite me in the ass in a year or two.

4. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've ordered a new battery for the 5470 to see if that eliminates the shutdown problem (a new motherboard under warranty didn't); there's a 35% off coupon on Dell's public small business site. Ordered the 3-cell 47W/hr rather than another 62W/hr in the hope that it is the higher voltage and a bit more reliable.

5. mr_handy

Reputations:
    So have put in the 11.4V/47Whr battery, and so far so good on the shutdowns.

I'd forgotten how absurdly much better the ergonomics on this machine are than the XPS 15/M55x0. The keyboard and mouse aren't super, but unlike the short stroke one and clickpad on the XPS, they aren't actually bad.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  6. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Gosh, you did the same thing I did to get my E5450 to stop randomly shutting down. New battery, and all was fine (well, it had one more residual shutdown from the laptop screws coming loose over the years - flex would cause a shutdown).

The slightly thicker chassis of the E5000 line allow for a much better KB then these paper thin KBs in newer ultrabooks, IMO. Some of them are so thin, there is less and less practical difference between them and a touchscreen KB.

EDIT: oh, I forgot we had a short conversation in the 5491/5591 thread, lol. I'm glad to see the new battery seems to be working.

7. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys, odd question. Got two E5470 in the office. They've both have the quad i5-6440HQ processor.
    It's pretty toasty a processor, for a think and light laptop. The CPU can reach 92-94 degrees c sometimes. It's still under the warranty. Should I get it serviced? Or is E5470 just known to be hot with quad?

(Can turn off turboboost - obviously it will get more manageable - though I imagine that loses some performance; if it were easier to repaste, I'd have repasted myself; however, looking at the service manuel, it seems I'd probably spend 2-4 hours repasting - too many steps; luckily since it's under the warranty, it's probably sensible to send them in)

8. mr_handy

Reputations:
    The cooling system isn't super in these; mine is a bit toasty -- mine is seeing 89-93C after a major service (albeit with the slightly faster i7-6820HQ.)

My work is ordering me a new machine -- not clear if they'll be able to get a E5491 or just a 5480 -- as our security policy is changing away from allowing personal gear. Will be curious if the temperature improves any with the newer models.

9. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay wow - you have a nicely loaded version, thanks for the reply.

That sets the expectation a bit I think - very helpful. I think Dell uses pretty standard thermal paste (sometimes those poor stick on things) / sometimes they brings a new cooling fan part - but if it goes to high 80s-93 degrees c after servicing, maybe it doesn't make much sense to service / probably I'll block out a weekend and order some Gelid thermal compound. :)

10. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    Just curious. Is the same physical keyboard on the E5470 shared between E5450 5480, 7450 7470 7480, etc? (I know there are different versions, e.g. layout, backlit or non-lit, and single/dual click - but otherwise?)