New Latitude 5470

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by jasperjones, Dec 16, 2015.

1. ncfoster

ncfoster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Back when dual-channel memory was a new thing, I remember that it was pretty important to pair chips that were as similar as possible to get the best performance and stability. I can't help but think that even if things have improved significantly, having mismatched capacities in dual-channel might not be ideal. Is this a bad assumption?

Thanks for the input.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The last notebook I had which was fussy about RAM was the Samsung R20. That was 10 years ago. This thread about dual channel RAM is of a similar age. That it's been quiet for so long suggests that matching RAM is no longer a big issue. The BIOS / Intel chipset is adept at reading the SPD info on each module and working out the fastest setting suitable for both. If you could temporarily borrow an 8GB module then you could use Task Manager / Resource Manager to find out if it's enough for your workflow (the objective is to eliminate use of the paging file).

John

3. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With a dual core U-series processor, I have a really hard time seeing any workload where I'd feel like 16GB wasn't enough memory but the processor wasn't a bigger bottleneck. I haven't used the U-processor 5470, but I've used enough other machines with similar processors to be pretty sure of that. At the same time, 8GB is getting a little tight even for general use; 16 is definitely the sweet spot.

If you're inclined to spend more, upgrading to a bigger SSD (and/or going to NVMe if it isn't already, although reinstalling on that can be a pain) would be my second step rather than going all the way to 24gb or 32gb.

Any of the E-series docks. Basically, there are two models: a one-monitor model (E-port) and a two-monitor model (E-port plus) and there are two generations of them -- one with USB2.0 support only, and one with USB3.0 support. The USB 3.0 ones are (relatively) thin on the ground; the former are very cheap used. As @John Ratsey already said, they don't (or at least very very rarely) wear out. Newer machines like the E5470 fit very far forwards on them (there is spacer you can buy, but it's silly expensive for a plastic rectangle; you can cut a piece of styrofoam or a couple layers of cardboard for free if it really bothers you.

I seem to recall some discussions of differences between the U-series and H-series processor motherboards for that, up-thread. Assuming it works in the U-series models, the "slower" has to do with the more basic controller on most 42mm drives that would fit in the WWAN slot, not the slot itself. Used it in mine for a year, without problems (and still use that machine it as a spare occasionally) but mine is an H-series, and I've had the separate problem discussed a lot in this thread with shutting down spontaneously on battery.

John Ratsey likes this.
  4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Good point about the processor type. My E5570 (where an SSD worked in the WWAN slot) has the 6440HQ processor. It has 4 more PCIe lanes than the dual core CPU which increases the potential for connecting peripheral components.

John

5. ncfoster

ncfoster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks all for the input. I am just going to get a used stick of memory and see where I stand. I don't think that I want to spend the money on 32 GB for a machine like this.

6. trungnn307

trungnn307 Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG] Can someone show your last bios time. My e5470 has long bios time (about 16s - 18s). I disable all startup programs
    [​IMG]
    I havent tried to reset windows because i have many installed apps.

My spec is
    CPU : 6440HQ
    RAM : 16GB
    HD : SSD Hynix 256GB and SSD Transcend 512GB on wwan slot

https://imgur.com/a/EFXWh

7. ShadowLabs

ShadowLabs Newbie

Reputations:
    So what is the verdict on random shutdowns?
    I have a E5470 running perfectly, but I'd like to add a secondary SSD in the WWAN in the future. Would this cause shutdown issues?

Specs:
    Dell Latitude E5470, i5-6440HQ, 16GB DDR4-2133Mhz (With chips on both sides, 16 chips per dimm), Intel HD graphics, 1920x1080 Non touch, 62whr battery, 512GB NVME PCIE SSD (Toshiba XG4)

8. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's possible, but ultimately the only way to know is to put it in to try. Mine was fine with 32gb + 2 SSDs, until I swapped in a bigger main SSD, and after that even going back to the factory configuration (8gb + one HDD) didn't fix the shutdowns.

I pretty much gave up on using mine on battery because of the shutdown issues (it's been running Linux as in essence a low power desktop for about 9 months now) but I'm considering buying one of the 11V 3-cell batteries to see if that fixes it.

9. yaonyc

yaonyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello e5470 experts.

Is it difficult and possible to swap out non-touch screen for touchscreen?

Is it an extensive difficult work effort?

thank you for any info. on this.

10. michael1996

michael1996 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    should I upgrade to MyDigitalSSD SBX M.2 NVMe SSD 256GB $80